Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best way to add velvet >

Best way to add velvet

Best way to add velvet

Old 08-28-2015, 08:35 AM

Default Best way to add velvet

Can anyone tell me an easy way to add velvet to a quilt. I'm doing the believe in me Santa and want to do his hat in velvet. Not sure if I can applique it or not?? Thank you.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

Is your velvet washable?? I thought velveteen was the washable one. I myself would use fusible web and buttonhole stitch around the edge.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:53 AM

Thank you, I thought about the fusible but would melt. Thank God I got it on sale at Joann's- was 31.00 a yard on sale for 21.00 and only needed 1/2 yd.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Is your velvet washable?? I thought velveteen was the washable one. I myself would use fusible web and buttonhole stitch around the edge.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

Since it is just the hat section, I think I would do the fabric sheet method. You could use a thin interfacing with the reverse pattern drawn on, lay it over the right side of the velvet and stitch the outline of the simple shape with a small stitch length. Trim the edges, cut a slit in the back of the dryer sheet or interfacing and turn right side out. The shape will now be ready to appliqué with all the raw edges enclosed and stay stitched so the velvet doesn't fray.
You might want to slightly round the sharp angles or pointed edges on the pattern piece so it is easier to turn.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:36 AM

Thanks so much, this is a great ideal, will let you know if it works.

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Since it is just the hat section, I think I would do the fabric sheet method. You could use a thin interfacing with the reverse pattern drawn on, lay it over the right side of the velvet and stitch the outline of the simple shape with a small stitch length. Trim the edges, cut a slit in the back of the dryer sheet or interfacing and turn right side out. The shape will now be ready to appliqué with all the raw edges enclosed and stay stitched so the velvet doesn't fray.
You might want to slightly round the sharp angles or pointed edges on the pattern piece so it is easier to turn.