Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best way to design/draft new quilt????

I don't have any quilt design software, such as EQ5 or EQ6. Honestly, I am not sure I would like it or use it very often, so I can't justify spending the money.

I see fabric I like and get ideas from the fabric. I have an idea in my head for some fabric I bought recently, but don't know how to go about planning the quilt. It involves a center panel, which I haven't done before. Would you try to chart it out on graph paper, just freehand draw and guess at measurements, find something similiar is a book or magazine, or what???

If you can find something similar to the look you want I would start with that and then draw it up on graph paper.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

I've used all the methods you listed. Graph paper seems to help when I finally get my design in mind so I can determine block size, estimate yardage, etc.

Banned
    I start with a rough sketch of the whole quilt.

Once I think that it will work, I moved to a more measured drawing (big picture) Graph paper works well for this..One squre = 1 inch or what ever scale you want to work with..

The purpose of this excercise is to make sure that everything will fit evenly..ie, Im using 12 inch blocks and 2 inch sashings,, will this equal the measurement I expect or do I need more blocks, bigger sashings, etc.

If you are going to do a central medalion,, draw that in first so you can fill in around it..

Once I get that done to my satisfaction, I move to real life drafting of the design/pattern.. If its a block, draft it out real size..

From that I get cutting sizes.. I write these right on my life size drawing..

Make a test block if you are not sure how it will turn out.. this is the time to make adjustments..

When you are happy with all of that..Estimate yardage...buy fabric... start sewing..

voila, you have a quilt

Sometimes if it's fabric I like, I photo copy it. I then cut out block pieces (minus seam allowwance) and tape it together to get an idea how the block will look with that fabric.

If its a panel, shrink it on the copier, it will be easier to work it.

Thanks for the responses guys! Dh is upstairs looking through his desk for graph paper. :D

Banned
    If your DH has no luck with his desk, you can print your own graph paper from this site (and many others, as well). http://www.paperprintout.com/paper/g...aper/index.php

I start with a series of freehand sketches to fine-tune the design before I graph it out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    I start with a series of freehand sketches to fine-tune the design before I graph it out.
    I do the same myself. Good luck making yours.

camilla, I got tired of drawng something out and figuring the sizes and bought EQ5. It made a world of difference for me and designing in it is so easy! I figured it out before I read the book and I'm NOT computer savy either.

It gives you many, many block patterns and fabrics to choose from when designing and deciding your colors and you can also scan your own in.

But with the EQ5 it doesn't tell you how to assemble it. I think EQ6 does?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast