Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best way to hang a quilt..

Best way to hang a quilt..

I am making a quilt out of my deceased mother's clothing...Want a way to hang without breaking the bank or putting holes in it....Please help....

The way I think looks pretty is when people put a decorative curtain rod up on the wall, and hang the quilt on that (using a hanging sleeve on the back, of course). Do you have the quilt already made? Can you add a sleeve to the back easily? If you quilt is done already, you could always stitch the sleeve on by hand.

Power Poster
    My first questionis: how big is it? A smaller quilt can have a sleeve sewn to the back to accomodate a wooden dowel or curtain rod. There are comercial quilt hanging systems on the market but they are pretty pricey. You might find something you like here www.ackfeldwire.com

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
    The way I think looks pretty is when people put a decorative curtain rod up on the wall, and hang the quilt on that (using a hanging sleeve on the back, of course). Do you have the quilt already made? Can you add a sleeve to the back easily? If you quilt is done already, you could always stitch the sleeve on by hand.
    This is what I do. Make the sleeve so that it poufs out in the back, that way the quilt will hang flat. If you sew the sleeve flat, the quilt will stick out in front.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
    This is what I have done too. When I make larger wall hangings, I go to Walmart and get the black wrought iron decorative curtain rods. Only need to buy one and they come in different sizes. They can be cut down too. When I make them for others, I buy the rod and add it to the gift so I am almost certain the wallhanging will be hung up as intended. They won't be tempted to put holes in it.

How much space do you have for display? If you have a place to hang it, as above, then great. If your space is limited the consider a quilt ladder or rack to display the quilt folded. If it will be an heirloom quilt then maybe even consider a glass enclosed display case.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I've got a 36" square wall hanging on the wall above my desk. I put a hanging sleeve on it -- I'm 99% certain I used the AQS guidelines Then I went to the hardware store and bought to 12" 'mending plates', a package of 3M hanging tapes, a wide pocket rod and some magnets. I wrote a blog post about it HERE. It didn't take me long to do, there are no holes in the wall and I'll be able to switch out the quilt.

Susan Brubaker Knapp has an exceellent tutorial on making quilt sleeves.
    http://wwwbluemoonriver.blogspot.com...lt-sleeve.html

The sleeve, because it distributes the weight of the quilt evenly across toe top edge, will prevent any distortion due to pulling over time as most other methods do.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    Great alternative to hanging on a wall. If you are a thrifty shopper, you might check out your local donation center or garage sales for the racks. If you choose to display it on a rack, just remember to occasionally refold the quilt in order to avoid permanent creases in the long-term. Until then, maybe drape it at the end of a bed?

Quote Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
    How much space do you have for display? If you have a place to hang it, as above, then great. If your space is limited the consider a quilt ladder or rack to display the quilt folded. If it will be an heirloom quilt then maybe even consider a glass enclosed display case.

ali
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

If using an unsealed wooden rack or ladder, don't forget to put something between the quilt and the wood. Otherwise you risk acid stains on the quilt.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast