Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best way to hang quilts without sleeves? >

Best way to hang quilts without sleeves?

Best way to hang quilts without sleeves?

Old 11-26-2012, 06:12 AM

Default Best way to hang quilts without sleeves?

I'm looking for a way to hang large quilts (double/queen) without a sleeve on the back. I have a large blank wall right now that has my flannel design wall nailed to it but want to be able to hang completed quilts on that wall and switch them out when the mood hits me. I've been looking online at all the options but there are so many that I don't know what to buy. Some are a series of small wooden clamps, some are bars that clamp the entire quilt between them. If you're using one of these systems, do you have a favorite type or favorite maker? Are there any you've bought that just didn't work for you? I'd love to hear what you think.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:31 AM

One of my friends has a decorative rod hanging in her great room that she hangs her quilts on. Instead of a sleeve, she uses drapery rings with the clamp on the bottom.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-26-2012 at 06:35 AM. Reason: remove copyright image
Old 11-26-2012, 06:31 AM

I used a curtain rod. The kind that has rings on the rod with small metal clothes pins attached. My only concern would be for a light colored quilt with light binding. I have not had any rust or markings but both my quilts were small and dark colors. If I had a light color, I guess I could put fabric under each clothespin to protect the quilt.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

If you hang the quilt, then you won't be using your design wall ... therefore you could pin the quilt to the design wall.

If you are wanting to use the design wall, then a curtain rod with rings would let you slide the quilt out of the way to reveal the design wall.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:43 AM

This is an excellant idea/ Thanks.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:00 PM

I really like these. http://www.undercoverquilts.com/shop...OD-HANGERS.htm
Old 11-26-2012, 02:18 PM

If it were me, I'd add a sleeve and hang the quilt from a rod mounted above the design wall. But if you don't want a sleeve on the quilt, use a full bar clamp in order to evenly distribute the weight of the quilt so it doesn't stretch.

I have seen quilts totally ruined because they were hung from separate clamps, clips, rings, etc along the top edge. They can easily wind up with 'scalloped' tops from the stress of uneven pull from hanging...the larger the quilt, the faster it happens. Think about how fast clothes get stretched out on hangers and multiply that by the weight of a bed sized quilt.

Last edited by ghostrider; 11-26-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
If you hang the quilt, then you won't be using your design wall ... therefore you could pin the quilt to the design wall.

If you are wanting to use the design wall, then a curtain rod with rings would let you slide the quilt out of the way to reveal the design wall.
Forgot to say that I won't be needing this wall for a design wall. I rearranged my sewing room and made space there for the design wall. This wall is in my finished basement across from the LA.

I'm really thinking, that because I want to hang larger quilts, that the long clamp type would be better to keep them from stretching since the weight is evenly distributed. But I was wondering if anyone has used this kind and what they think of them. They're not cheap and I don't to make an expensive mistake.

Last edited by Pam S; 11-26-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:35 PM

I put up a long curtain rod in my room. Then I ended up using what are skirt grip hangers that were black plastic. I then looped black grossgtrain type tape throught the openings so the quilt would hang properly. I thought of those curtain rings but they are metal and I was thinking they could damage the quilt by making holes or whatever.

Look at your LQS's and see how they display their quilts and you will get more ideas.

ali
Old 11-26-2012, 03:11 PM

I've seen quilts that had triangles sewn across the top 2 corners, then a dowel was inserted under the triangles, then the dowel rests on top of 2 Command Adhesive hooks. If you have a larger quilt, you could use more hooks.