Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best way to piece my large backing - rip not cut >

Best way to piece my large backing - rip not cut

Best way to piece my large backing - rip not cut

Old 05-26-2016, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
If you are ripping parallel to the selvage then you are ripping with the grain, not across the grain.

Rob<object id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" type="cosymantecnisbfw" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;" cotype="cs"></object>
Except I think I would need to rip perpendicular to the selvage, right? I would go over 3-1/3 yards from the edge and rip, then over 3-1/3 yards to rip, leaving one more 3-1/3 yards. Then I would sew them together under each other (so the middle piece would be placed below the first piece and sewn together, then the 3rd piece under the first 2 pieces and sewn together). Am I picturing that right? I can be directionally challenged, and I don't have to fabric yet to lay on the floor and then visually picture.

If this is correct, will it be okay ripping that way?
Old 05-26-2016, 08:32 AM

I prefer to measure the width of the piece and cut it. I have had bad experience with the torn edge curling under and didn't really feel that it was ripping exactly on grain. Maybe tear a small piece to see how it will tear before you go at the whole thing.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Last time I ripped fabric, I wound up having to buy more fabric because the fabric was printed wrong. No more ripping for me!
I'm apprehensive about ripping across the grain, although I know that's how stores used to do it when selling fabric.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

Make sure that you cut or rip so you have a little for overhang - to grab while you quilt and to account for shift. If you get the backing the same size of the top, you may run short.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:39 PM

Colorfulom has given great directions, since you are still hesitant, draw it out or even use a piece of paper to be the pieces and try it with the paper first. When I'm stuck on how to lay out backing I always draw it out first to check my measurements.

Your 10 yd of fabric should allow you to have a back that is 112 by 112" (assuming your usable width of fabric is 40").
This should give you enough extra for quilting on the DSM or handquilting. Depending on your LA quilter and the density of quilting planned, you may be little "short" on the LA, but still doable.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
Except I think I would need to rip perpendicular to the selvage, right? I would go over 3-1/3 yards from the edge and rip, then over 3-1/3 yards to rip, leaving one more 3-1/3 yards. Then I would sew them together under each other (so the middle piece would be placed below the first piece and sewn together, then the 3rd piece under the first 2 pieces and sewn together). Am I picturing that right? I can be directionally challenged, and I don't have to fabric yet to lay on the floor and then visually picture.

If this is correct, will it be okay ripping that way?
Yes, this is exactly correct, and it will be okay.

It's nice to rip borders on the lengthwise grain, because there is less stretch in that direction. However, ripping on the crosswise grain is fine if that's what's needed. The torn edges will be slightly more bruised because they stretch and distort slightly, but it's minor.

To reassure your self, try stretching your fabric on the lengthwise grain and the cross grain. The cross grain will stretch a bit more, but nothing compared to the bias. The relative stretch shows the relative potential for problems (pretty slim).

Do you have an inexpensive fat quarter or bit of yardage that you can try ripping? It might make you more comfortable, and give you an idea of how sharply to pull to get a clean tear. Snip through the selvage, hold right next to the snip, and go for it!

Last edited by Jennifer23; 05-26-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
Do you have an inexpensive fat quarter or bit of yardage that you can try ripping? It might make you more comfortable, and give you an idea of how sharply to pull to get a clean tear. Snip through the selvage, hold right next to the snip, and go for it!
Great idea Jennifer! I do have some fabric I can rip. Need to make some quilt sandwiches. Will give it a whirl and see how it goes.

I haven't been overly fond of the LQS ripping fabric because of the bruise edges. I really hate trying to make long, straight cuts though.