Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best way to quilt this? >

Best way to quilt this?

Best way to quilt this?

Old 01-12-2016, 01:49 PM

Default Best way to quilt this?

I'm not asking for would you do FMQ or any such fancy thing... I already know I will stitch in the ditch in all the squares and at the border strip but I'm asking more of a HOW question on getting around the squares and strips the easiest way for a domestic machine with not a real big throat space.

This quilt is almost queen size so is the best way to do each line separately (lots of starts and stops) or to go around each square and do double stitching in some places where some lines of stitching would overlap? I envision lots of turning nightmares doing it this way because of the bulk under a sort of small throat space. Help, I loved this pattern but now I don't know how to quilt it.

I do realize FMQ would solve the problem but I'm having tension issues only when I FMQ and don't feel like dealing with it right now. My walking foot will for sure work fine though. Any advice is much appreciated!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540041[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-12-2016, 02:05 PM

I would roll or wrap one half of the quilt so it fits inside of the harp of your machine. Then sew in the middle of the quilt to the end that is not rolled. If you can keep rolling after you sew one section, that would be good. I would sew your square, back stitching or pulling up the threads and tying a knot, then proceed to the next square, doing the same. I would stop at the end of the squares. After you have the squares done, say four sewed down, I would unroll and do the other end. Then after that is done, roll in the opposite direction and proceed. I would do the borders along with the squares in one direction. Hope this suggestion helps you. I have seen it done this way.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:18 PM

I would do something similar as what ragamuffin said... I usually shorten my stiches a lot at the beginning and at the end of a seam for 3 or 4 stiches... starting in the middle coming to the side that is rolled so that I unroll what is inside of the harp of my machine. I only have a 7 in harp... a slow process but very doable.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

Have you considered doing diagonal crosshatching instead? You can still use your walking foot, but there wouldn't be so many turns and it's easier than staying in the ditch. Start at one of the corners and stitch all the way to the other corner. I've seen diagrams of how to do this with the minimum of starts and stops, but I think your main concern would be stabilizing the quilt well before you start. This is what I mean - http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/videos...e-quilting.htm

Edited to add - I meant to tell you how beautiful your quilt top is. I think that's a wonderful design and beautiful colors.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

Would roll up half the quilt, start in the middle and work out as you UNROLL the quilt. I would stitch in the ditch and then back-stitch being sure you have locked your stitching, then I just would skip over the tan sashing. Work from the center to the outside. Turn the quilt a quarter turn and repeat the process. In know time, it will be all stitched in the ditch. Trim all the threads on front and back. I have quilted this way many times. You did make such a pretty quilt.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

I would stitch down all the sashing from top to bottom starting in the middle and work out. I would then turn the quilt and do the same on the horizontal sashing. This will stabilize the quilt so you can then turn it as much as you need to stitch inside the squares. Pretty Dissappearing 4 patch!
Old 01-12-2016, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by tartan View Post
i would stitch down all the sashing from top to bottom starting in the middle and work out. I would then turn the quilt and do the same on the horizontal sashing. This will stabilize the quilt so you can then turn it as much as you need to stitch inside the squares. Pretty dissappearing 4 patch!
So would I!

Last edited by quilting cat; 01-12-2016 at 06:55 PM. Reason: misssing capitalization
Old 01-13-2016, 09:47 AM

Thanks ladies, I'm going to do a combination of these. I'm going to start at the middle of the innermost block and SITD down and lock the stitches then skip over the sashing as ManiacQuilter2 mentioned and continue then turn and do the horizontal lines the same way. I don't want a full line of stitches along the sashing, I'd rather see the squares pop. I'll let you know how it comes out when I've finished. I do appreciate your input so much!
Old 01-13-2016, 02:43 PM

No advice but wanted to tell you that I love your quilt! I love that pattern and love the fabrics you used!
Old 01-14-2016, 09:40 AM

I love your quilt what pattern is this??