Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Best way to sew quilting lines 1.5 inches from the seam?

Best way to sew quilting lines 1.5 inches from the seam?

I'm almost to the point of quilting a queen size quilt (my first big quilt!) and what I want to do is stitch-in-the-ditch and then sew lines 1.5 inches from the seams. I have a Juki TL2010Q that came with a walking foot, but it doesn't have a guide. I'm thinking that having a guide will alleviate the need for marking. I have seen that Juki has an adjustable edge guide foot, but would I have trouble with puckers on the back given that it isn't a walking foot? Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Thanks for any help you can give me!

I've heard many people use masking tape. Buy some 1.5" wide, tape beside your seam lines, and use that as a guide.
    My walking foot has a place to insert a guide in it (which came separately) - maybe there is something you can attach to yours?
    I would not use the regular foot - definitely an invitation for puckers.

Power Poster
    Masking or painter's tape is good to stitch beside. If you can't find the width you need, I stick it to my clean Olfa cutting board and rotary cut the width to the size I want. If you get it the exact size for quilting down both sides before moving it, it speeds up the process.

I have used blue painter's tape, but...if I am simply following a quilt line I already have sewn, what has worked well for me is to use a book mark and just line it up and sew along the other side of the book mark. I have done this in LOTS of borders.

It might be a method that works for you?

Dina

Thanks for your replies. I thought about the masking tape idea, but I was trying to avoid the work of putting it on. (I must be getting lazy!) I have used it on smaller quilts and it worked well. Dina, I like your bookmark idea. I think that I'll give that a try.

I like using masking tape of different widths to do quilting...it is not hard to place, and can be reused several times. Too bad you don't have a walking foot with guides, because that also works well.