Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which is "the better of two evils"? >

Which is "the better of two evils"?

Which is "the better of two evils"?

Old 12-31-2016, 05:56 AM

You have made a decision so this is just an fyi for folks. I recently used a very vintage piece of cotton that was thin and virtually see through. Since I was using stash from my long gone gramma I wanted to use it. I ironed fusible shape flex think 101? To the piece I was using. It looked wonderful and the body was perfect....still soft and flexible (hence the name, lol) and approximated the weight of quality goods of today. I will be doing this again!
Old 12-31-2016, 08:01 AM

If it is for a binding, you could piece it in sections of 36", say, and then switch to the other white for 36", and continue
around the quilt like that so it will look "planned" and no one will be the wiser.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Oh those whites, I've been there done that too. What I try to do is put the first whites in some sort of pattern. Maybe only the center columns, since you've mentioned they are in columns. Then the new whites in the outer columns, even if it means not using all the first white columns. Form a pattern. Then as the quilt ages, whether the first whites change or the second whites change, it will look intentional. It will also look like you are very clever in placement. If it makes you wince, there is something your eye is seeing and will always see. Someone else will never see it.
My first thought was to use the same colors in the columns as you suggest, as that would make it more planned.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:44 AM

I wouild use the closer match and then quilt it with COLOR.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:56 PM

Leave it---I'd go with better fabric -- it may all come out the same tone after use and washings.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:51 PM

Thanks everyone. I have replaced one of the columns so now it sort of looks like an intended design feature...yeah right!
Old 12-31-2016, 08:11 PM

how about putting the thinner white over the cream.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:27 PM

Alrighty, had a few spare hours this afternoon so I decided to baste it so it's ready to quilt and I can't fiddle with it anymore! I appreciate everyones' advice and opinions; it certainly helped me get this top to a more satisfactory outcome than I could've done on my own. I have tried to take some pictures of my dilemma but they really don't show the difference between the shadings at all.

I have well and truly learnt my lesson about making sure you have ALL your fabric requirements before starting a project!!

Many thanks again and Happy New Year to everyone.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:14 AM

You probably won't be able to see it once it is quilted.Or at least no one else will notice it. I just had the same problem with an off white. I had no idea that off white would be that hard to match up. I was able to change the design so the 2 different colors didn't touch.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:51 AM

Yeah, what she said.