Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Betty Bands vs Quilting Gloves >

Betty Bands vs Quilting Gloves

Betty Bands vs Quilting Gloves

Old 02-03-2012, 07:19 AM

I got the cheapie mechanics gloves from Harbor Freight and they work great, but they're bulky. But if you have to take all the more expensive ones off to do things, might as well save money too! (I think I got 2 pair for less than $1). They look like knit gloves dipped in yellow rubber.

The Betty Bands look like they're made of packing materials. Anyone make their own out there?!
Old 02-03-2012, 08:41 AM

I used gloves (like Machingers) until I heard about glycerine. I tried it because I like to try ideas that seem "odd" but it works for me. You put 2-3 drops of glycerine on your fingertips and rub it in with your thumbs--your thumb and fingertips will feel a bit "tacky". This enables you to guide the quilt but you can still thread needles, pick things up etc.etc. I've never experienced a problem with it staining anything or leaving a residue on the quilt.

I do mostly smallish pieces and a LOT of raw edge applique and this works better for me than the gloves do because some of the work is pretty precise and you don't have the added bulk of the gloves. A small bottle of glycerine will last a long time and is readily available at your local chain pharmacy or Wally World. I'm unaware that there would be any adverse health effects from using it but I've never checked.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:57 AM

I bought a pair of gardening gloves, cut the index finger and thumb down so I can pick up pins and thread needle without taking off gloves. I think they cost less than $2.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:58 AM

I have never tried either, I use garden gloves. They work for me and when they wear out, they turn back in to garden gloves!!!
Old 02-03-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by kellen46 View Post
I go to the gardening department and get spandex gloves that have a latex palm. I pay about three dollars and they fit very snugly. They are great for , keeping my hands warm, grabbing the fabric, adds a little massage to my poor arthritic fingers. I have machingers and I do not like them at all....too loose and floppy.
This is what I use -- the garden gloves are wonderful. I got mine in a bin at the flower show and paid $1.00. I tried Machingers, but they were either too big or too small -- the garden gloves are a good fit and I can still grab thread.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:35 AM

Machingers work just great. I just finished buying another pair. You can interchange them from right to left. I've used up both sides. Love them. I have tried other gloves but these are the best.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:51 AM

I use the rubber finger tips from any office store. There's about 12 in a box for less than $5. I think their real purpose is to turn pages. They're great. They grip and yet give your fingers/hands lots of air
Old 02-03-2012, 11:10 AM

Never tried either but have the Fons & Porters quilting gloves and they work great for me. They don't get hot, have a good grip and easy to slip on and off when needed.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:57 AM

I haven't tried Betty Bands. I use Machingers gloves and they work well. I will be interested to hear what the Betty Band users have to say.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:58 PM

I took a FMQ class where the teacher had us put a small amount of glycerine on our fingertips. It worked as well as any glove I have tried.