Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bias Binding? >

Bias Binding?

Bias Binding?

Old 11-09-2015, 10:15 AM

Default Bias Binding?

I am making a Christmas tree skirt from a tutorial on MSQC. It has a slit and circle where it goes around the tree stand. I watched the tutorial without the sound on the first time. Jenny did not show how she put the binding on so I watched it again with the sound on and she said to use bias binding (she has a tut for that too). I did some googling and discovered that bias binding is stronger and a must use for curves. I only quilt, not a garment maker so there is a lot I don't know about sewing. Anyway, my question is do you usually use straight grain binding for most quilts or use bias binding?
Old 11-09-2015, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

I use straight grain for most quilts, but would use bias binding on a tree skirt because of the curves. Bias binding does wear better than straight grain, but the downside is that it is harder to apply. I don't normally pre-wash, but for bias binding I would pre-wash the fabric and then starch heavily before cutting into strips. This helps stabilize the bias so it doesn't stretch and distort while sewing.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:24 AM

You can use either on a quilt without curves. It's your choice. But I find that the bias binding does last longer, although it's more trouble for me to make.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

I use both. I prefer working with a bias binding though. It is a bit of a pain to prepare compared to straight of grain but it seems to behave better for me and look nicer to me and it definitely wears longer, at least in my experience.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:30 AM

I haven't applied it yet; made it last night. It is stretchy so I am a little nervous about it.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:00 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/resources/article-117.html

Here's a QB article.

I use bias binding on everything. Rarely do I use straight grain. I have no problem attaching it, it is very cooperative.

Yes, you have extra yardage because of the bit of waste in the corners when you cut it. It wears longer, because the same two fabric fibers aren't stressed by use.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:12 AM
Banned

I use bias binding for almost all of my quilts. I'm obsessed with using striped bias binding, I think my favorite part of making a quilt is finding the perfect stripe to use for the binding. I just watched Jennys' bias binding tute and while it's easy to follow, she wastes a lot of that 1/2yd of fabric. I get much more binding(26 feet, over 300 inches) from the same 1/2yd by using Shelley Rodgers method, and no special ruler needed either. Shelley also has a fantastic tutorial for joining the ends of your binding.
http://piraterodgers.com/tutorials/c...htm#directions
She likes to talk so her instructions are very verbose, but very easy to follow, and once you've done it the first time, you'll get it down pat.

Cari
Old 11-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Power Poster

I don't think it is actually stronger because it wore off on an old quilt I had my Great Aunt hand quilt for me in the 70s. This quilt was never used. But you do need bias for any curves.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Straight grain binding on all straight quilt edges. Bias binding if I am binding curves or scallops. I occasionally use bias binding for a design effect if the binding fabric is striped or plaid because it looks cool.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:42 PM

Years ago I bought a 8 1/2" X 11" red laminated card called "Quilter's Strip Ticket". I use this every time I make binding. On one side it gives easy directions for cutting bias binding using tube construction. You begin with a square, which can be pieced if you need to. The other side gives charts for different widths of binding made from different sizes of squares to make specific lengths of bias binding. My Quilter's Strip Ticket was by Lamb Art Press, Inc., P.O. Box 38, Parsons, TN 38363, copyright 1985.