Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bias Binding... Why?

When I was learning to quilt, I was told to use the bias binding technique. The last quilt I made I used the straight grain binding, and it turned out very well. Bias should be used when there are curves otherwise it might not lay flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramie bj
    I like to use bias on everything when sewing over the joining seams on bias you don't have to go over 2 layers of seams.
    You can join straight runs of binding with a diagonal seam which will do the same thing if I'm understanding you correctly.:)

Thanks everyone. I do use straight of grain for bindings using a diagonal cut to join my strips. I understand the need for bias when binding curves, not that I have done a curved binding yet. I just finished binding a quilt I'm going to list for sale. Look for it...I'm calling it "Spring Flowers"

Thanks again!

Have to agree with the majority of the others, only need to use binding on curves or if the binding is striped, for a special effect. All my other bindings are straight.

Blog Entries
    I dont really bind. I make the back big enough to pull around to the front. One machine stitching, mitered corners, done, no missed places in back. Have only made straight rectangle quilts tho.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramie bj
    I like to use bias on everything when sewing over the joining seams on bias you don't have to go over 2 layers of seams.
    You can join straight runs of binding with a diagonal seam which will do the same thing if I'm understanding you correctly.:)
    Thanks for explaining. I wasn't getting that.

You don't have to use bias binding. It just curves more easily if you have scalloped edges. I always use the straight grain for my binding, doubled over. It is stronger and easier to cut.

Quote Originally Posted by needles3thread
    I use straight of grain for binding unless the quilt has curved
    or un-straight edges.
    same here

When you cut on the diagonal to make your binding strips, it lets the fabric stretch so it works very well on curves like for scallops or bags. You do not need to cut on the bias for straight edges of quilts. Hope this helps you.

I agree with most of the replies. I use wof binding unless the edges of the quilt are curved!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast