Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bias versus straight grain binding? >

Bias versus straight grain binding?

Bias versus straight grain binding?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:10 AM

This morning I read Marytoddliz' question on this forum about bias tape makers. Many people replied that they bind their quilts with straight grain binding. That got me wondering.

I have read or heard that bias binding wears longer, and that straight grain binding frays at the fold quickly. So I use bias most of the time, except for wall hangings that will get no wear. For baby quilts I always make 100% cotton bias binding, because usually they get washed so much.

Has anyone else heard about, or had experience with differences in wear in bias versus straight binding? Straight is soooo much easier.

Jane
Old 09-08-2011, 07:17 AM

Amazing! I was just about to ask the same questions.

I usually use bias on anything that has curves just for the ease of curving the binding. I have become very comfortable with making bias binding and was thinking of using it on all of my projects. If it wears better (but I don't know for sure) I think that is a bonus.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I only use bias on curves. I have always used Straight binding for most everything. To me it is a personal preference.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:27 AM

I agree it is a personal preference.
I use straight strips for binding.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:27 AM

I was just reading Harriet Hargreaves book on machine quilting, and she say that in no uncertain terms bias binding is the best looking and she simply won't do anything else. However, I think she shows her own BIAS in that remark LOL

I have not read anything generally about bias binding wearing better, only its usefulness on curves.

However, I have read that setting the joins of the binding on the bias, not just joining the pieces end to end, is a more sturdy construction.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

The theory is that bias binding will wear longer because a single thread in the fabric doesn't run across the length of the binding strip. (If that thread were to break it might cause fraying and compromise that edge of the quilt.) However, bias is harder to apply because it stretches. I don't use it on my quilts, but if I were making something that I wanted to pass down as an heirloom, perhaps a hand quilted whole cloth quilt (like that's gonna happen!) I would use bias to bind it.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SueSew
I was just reading Harriet Hargreaves book on machine quilting, and she say that in no uncertain terms bias binding is the best looking and she simply won't do anything else. However, I think she shows her own BIAS in that remark LOL

I have not read anything generally about bias binding wearing better, only its usefulness on curves.

However, I have read that setting the joins of the binding on the bias, not just joining the pieces end to end, is a more sturdy construction.
That's interesting. What is the date on your book? I have Harriet's book on Heirloom Machine Quilting, 4th edition, but I didn't find binding in the index. In the Art of Classic Quiltmaking (by Harriet Hargrave and Sharyn Craig), they say it's a personal preference and point out that bias binding, if improperly applied, can cause rippling along the edge, but that it is supposed to wear longer for the reasons I stated in my last post. (This book is probably where I learned that information to begin with.) It also says that Harriet doesn't use either true bias or straight grain, but cuts the fabric as it comes off the bolt rather than try to square it up with the grain, so it's only slightly on the bias. So... what I think has happened is that Harriet's preferences have changed with time.

It is better to join strips of binding on the bias because that results in less bulk in one spot when you fold the binding over. I didn't know that when I made my first quilts, so I can testify from first hand experience that the bulk caused by a straight join can make a bulge in the binding and be much more difficult to sew down.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:52 AM

Im also a straight girl :-)
Old 09-08-2011, 08:44 AM

I've seen this issue discussed many times on other quilt forums. I think the bottom line is they both wear about the same and it's a matter of persoanl preference. Personally I use straight grain all the time. I haven't heard of anyone I've given a quilt have an issue yet. If I were doing a quilt with curved edges I'd probably go through the pain of bias binding just for flexibility but that's about the only time.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:55 AM

Bias take more time in my opinion, I do mine like Georgia B. one time it got a little tricky when I used two fabrics one being the sashing print.