Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
big board ironing board top >

big board ironing board top

big board ironing board top

Old 07-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

I think I've seen sort of ironing "blankets" that can be put on a table

Old 07-11-2009, 07:18 PM

Or one that is attached to the wall and folds down when needed and back flat against the wall out of the way when not in use. Sort of a Murphy board. You are probably too young to know what that means.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:36 AM

I saw a Ricky Tims episode online for doing the convergence quilts and he has a big board he irons on - and he tells you how to make it...!
I'll have to see if I can find the link to the video...

whew! I thought I'd never find it! I couldn't find it searching online then I remembered that I had emailed a friend of mine with the link.. and viola! Here it is!!

http://www.thequiltshow.com/season3/303/theater.php[/url]

Okay.. I just rewatched it and he doens't give specific directions however he tells you what it's made of - this is on my to make list... the next time my father in law comes up. My husband is not good with power tools....
Old 07-12-2009, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

I would love to have a large ironing board. It takes forever to try to maneuver a quilt top on my plain board, have to show this to DH , maybe he'll make me one .Thanks Bear for this topic!!
K, I love the way yours looks!
Old 07-12-2009, 05:08 AM

Here's a link (I hope) to a message I posted about the ironing board top I made. http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/l...37.page#336655

Mine is for a small folding table, but directions could be adjusted to whatever size you need. If you aren't able to to use power tools (I'm not!) or don't have them, Lowe's will cut for you. Probably any lumber store would.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

The rails underneath look like they are about 1 1/2 inches high and about 5/8 inches wide. Didn't measure the length of them. Far enough apart to fit over most ironing boards - maybe two inches in from the edge.

There are three boards underneath - one on each side and only one at one end. Seems to be some kind of smooth hard-wood. I don't think it's pine. Not oak, either.

They are nailed together at the end, but I'm not sure how the rails are fastened to the large piece of plywood. Maybe glued? I didn't feel any screw or nail holes when i went to look at it.

The only "finish" the woods have is being sanded very nice and smooth.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:36 AM

I purchased a big board at a quilt show and love it :) . I also purchased the cutting board that covers half. So when quilting, I have a space to cut and a space to iron. I agree with basic woodworking skills someone can make one specific to the size of what you want it.

I do have a flimsy ironing board, and it works. But I am converting a spare bedroom into sewing room since I rarely have guests and will look to find a dresser/cabinet that I can set it on at the right height to make it more stable.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:31 PM

Just finished watching the show and am inspired to make one up this afternoon, er, evening. Maybe I can pull hubby away from his schoolwork long enough to make it up. Aw heck, I can do it. :roll:
Old 07-12-2009, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
Here is the one I made for my new sewing room. I love it. It is 2 feet by 4 feet
kay, i did the same thing, using a door that dh bought for me at home depot, 30" x 6'. mine also sits on a dresser (that i found on the street , hehe), but i covered mine with muslin - not a great idea. it stretches. i like your idea better. where did you buy the silver coated fabric? that wide?
Old 07-12-2009, 02:12 PM

I made mine, myself, years ago...looks just like that! Love it..made a small one for side table ironing!

OMGosh..I just saw the price from the link you sent! Are these people greedy or what...mine cost me $20.00 to make!!!