Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Big Oops >

Big Oops

Big Oops

Old 04-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

Default Big Oops

I am so upset! On my beautiful blue angel quilt I got half way down in quilting and discovered two blocks have the HST in the wrong position. I checked and rechecked before I put it on the frame. Don't know how I missed it!!! It is too late to take off the frame and rip out stitches. Thinking maybe to embroider name and date or some data in the oopsies. What do you suggest. It was to be for my DSIL. I guess I will have to make a smaller quilt for her.
Thanks for letting me vent and for any suggestions.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-18-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:02 PM

This probably is not as noticeable to others as it is to you. If it is too late to correct it, I wouldn't worry about it. I am sure you want the quilt to your SIL to be as beautiful as possible, but, she would probably never notice the "goof". I would just quilt away and enjoy the process and she could accept it with all the love behind the gift.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

no one is going to have any idea you made a mistake unless you tell them & point it out! any (non-quilter) will look at the quilt as a whole- beautiful quilt and believe you made it exactly as you planned- only a *judge* would really notice ---often other quilters don't even notice our (oopsies) unless we tell on ourselves & point them out-
so finish it up- if you truely can not live with it- decide then what to do about it- but chances are once its all done- quilted & bound- and you lay it out and stand back you will find it is just wonderful ---
did you know if the 'Amish' quilting world they will on purpose turn a piece backwards or even (in-side-out) because- only God can create perfection---
and when you look at their beautiful quilts you do not notice the (oopsie) unless you really study the quilt & know what to look for-
if your Dsil is not a (picky quilter) she will see the quilt as a whole & love it--only you will know it is not as you originally planned....unless you choose to point out your error & make a big deal over it-
best at this point to accept it is as it's supposed to be- and continue on-worry free.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

Since no one on this Earth is perfect, why should a quilt be? I'd finish it and let it go. I"m sure it's lovely.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety2911 View Post
I am so upset! On my beautiful blue angel quilt I got half way down in quilting and discovered two blocks have the HST in the wrong position. I checked and rechecked before I put it on the frame. Don't know how I missed it!!! It is too late to take off the frame and rip out stitches. Thinking maybe to embroider name and date or some data in the oopsies. What do you suggest. It was to be for my DSIL. I guess I will have to make a smaller quilt for her.
Thanks for letting me vent and for any suggestions.
Why can't you remove it from the frame, fix the blocks and put it back on? Or have you quilted it already? I would have to rip it out, but that's just me:
Old 04-18-2012, 04:31 PM

Wellll........ I would think seam rippers work well even with a quilt on a frame. You could remove the offending sections and then, keeping it on the frame, hand stitch them back in properly.

Shari
Old 04-18-2012, 05:01 PM

Oh my, life is short I try not to waste my time worrying with the small stuff, I use my time on the big things like "where did I leave that quilt top?".
Old 04-18-2012, 05:04 PM

Carol Doak, a very famous quilter, puts a mistake in her quilts on purpose. I usually do too, but not on purpose.

Colleen
Old 04-18-2012, 05:34 PM

Another Amish quilt in this world. I am sure it will be ok. As Carol Doak's mother said "nobody will even notice".
Old 04-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

If it took you this long to notice, chances are that no one else will notice. Even if they do, would they care? Would you care? If someone gave me a quilt I would be so thrilled that I wouldn't be upset by any "novelty" in its design.