Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Big Stitch" or "Utility Stitch" technique >

"Big Stitch" or "Utility Stitch" technique

"Big Stitch" or "Utility Stitch" technique

Old 10-15-2012, 03:16 AM

I made a very scrappy quilt and did the utility stitch with crochet thread --don't remember the number. I was able to bury the thread but it did take a bit of tugging. For the type of quilt that it was, the stitching really added to the design. Go for it....it will look great!!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:24 PM

Does anyone know if you can use the embroidery thread to do the big Stitching with, I thought that someone on here said that they used it and it worked, I'm fixing to start on a quilt top tonight and use it if it well work.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:42 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Pickles,
On the previous page I wrote: "I use big stitch quilting often....using .........perle cotton (balls) in size 8, or Sulky cotton 12 weight thread, (both of which are used in embroidery)......"

Is this what you mean by "embroidery thread???
Or are you speaking of embroidery floss in the little skeins? Yes you can use that; I prefer the perle cotton in the little round balls because it doesn't split into one or more thin threads.

Jan in VA
Old 10-17-2012, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Pickles,
On the previous page I wrote: "I use big stitch quilting often....using .........perle cotton (balls) in size 8, or Sulky cotton 12 weight thread, (both of which are used in embroidery)......"

Is this what you mean by "embroidery thread???
Or are you speaking of embroidery floss in the little skeins? Yes you can use that; I prefer the perle cotton in the little round balls because it doesn't split into one or more thin threads.

Jan in VA
Yes I was talking about the embroidery Floss in the small skeins. I had sent my DH. to town today to get me the
Perle cooton balls but they didn't have the color I told him to get so he just got me about 10 little skiens, and since I had not used those before I figured someone could tell me if it would work as good to use it, I really wanted to start this quilt tonight to give me something to do as I don't sleep nights at all.
Thank you for answering my Question Jan