Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Big Stitch" or "Utility Stitch" technique

"Big Stitch" or "Utility Stitch" technique

I am going to be doing this on a quilt soon and would like to know how to start/stop the stitches...do we have a knot on the back (ugh) or bury the stitches some way? I wonder with the larger thread used if it is possible to pop a knot through the top layer in order to bury it the traditional way?
    mea

Power Poster
    It will be more difficult to pop the knot into the sandwich but I think I would still try. Instead of just pulling and taking the chance of breaking the thread in the fabric, I would pull the knot to where I wanted to pop it through and then back it off a little. I would then take a pin and carefully push the threads of the fabric aside enough to pop the knot through. Once the knot is buried I would coax the threads of the fabric back to close the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    It will be more difficult to pop the knot into the sandwich but I think I would still try. Instead of just pulling and taking the chance of breaking the thread in the fabric, I would pull the knot to where I wanted to pop it through and then back it off a little. I would then take a pin and carefully push the threads of the fabric aside enough to pop the knot through. Once the knot is buried I would coax the threads of the fabric back to close the hole.
    Great suggestion Tartan, I will remember this in the future.

Blog Entries
    I did a'Big Stitch' quilting. I used Pearle Cotton #8. It is a little tricky to bury the knot, but in one of the links (don't remember which one) helps explain how to bury it.

http://chasingcottons.blogspot.com/2...-quilting.html
    http://mollyflanders.blogspot.com/20...-tutorial.html
    http://sweetp-paulette.blogspot.com/2011/08/yikes.html

I also took only couple of stitches at a time and used a quilting hoop.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

I love doing the big stitch utility quilting...also have used #8 pearl cotton, and a chenille needle...I think size 24...and I was able to bury the knot as in traditional quilting (the eye of the needle is larger, so allows for the thread to pop through the hole)

Blog Entries
    so much good advice here. makes me want to try the technique
    Nancy in western NY

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I use big stitch quilting often....using a quilting between #3 or #5 (Richard Hemming) needle with perle cotton (balls) in size 8, or Sulky cotton 12 weight thread, or I even use size 10 crochet thread....and I always bury the knot the 'usual' way. BUT, I tug the thread one direction while 'popping' the knot with my thumbnail in the other direction and that helps it pop thru the layers.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Oh my goodness, I like that! It is something I'd like to try sometimes. Thanks for sharing!

I also like the Big Stiching and with my hands not being as limber as they once was it will be perfect
    for me plus I love how this kind of quilting Pops.Thank you Grammy Dwynn for those links and showing us your
    Beautiful quilt!
    May you always have Love to Share , Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!

Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for all of the great advice. I am wanting to use this on a few quilts also.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast