Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A Big Thank You

Some time ago, in my lurker days, someone gave a tip that has made a signigicant difference for me and I cannot remember who it was, but sure want to thank them. She said, "when you are quilting, don't tug and pull and maniputlate the quilt, just let the machine do the work. WOW, what a difference that made, especially in SID, for me. I used to think that I had to pull on each side of the seam to expose that seam and no matter what I did, or how hard I tried, my SID was a disaster. So, now I let the machine do it. Now, if someone could give me the magic bullet to FMQ, I am open to discussion. I have done some successfully, but also had some near disasters. I think that the biggest problem is being able to really see the pattern so that your flow is even. When you can't see the pattern well, you (I) hesitate and then I have a mess. Any solutions? Mainly I was working on black with a small red and white figure in it and the chalk was not doing it.

First the dreaded 3 words Practice, Practice Practice!! For seeing the pattern try some use a wedge to tilt their machine towards them and a really good light. For me I just sat down at my machine and decided to make FMQ my friend we started out in the middle and just went with it. I can do a stipple pretty good. I watched Leah Day she has some amazing ideas and a video for each one. I also found that if you trace your pattern several times with your finger and it does help with remembering the pattern you want. I hope this helps good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    First the dreaded 3 words Practice, Practice Practice!! For seeing the pattern try some use a wedge to tilt their machine towards them and a really good light. For me I just sat down at my machine and decided to make FMQ my friend we started out in the middle and just went with it. I can do a stipple pretty good. I watched Leah Day she has some amazing ideas and a video for each one. I also found that if you trace your pattern several times with your finger and it does help with remembering the pattern you want. I hope this helps good luck!!
    Great advise...thanks :lol:

Banned
    Hi Donna - I'm going to direct you to a site that is chock full of hints, tips and inspiration for FMQ. http://www.dianegaudynski.net/
    I also have her book Guide To Machine Quilting which has been a great help to me. Good luck! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneG
    Hi Donna - I'm going to direct you to a site that is chock full of hints, tips and inspiration for FMQ. http://www.dianegaudynski.net/
    I also have her book Guide To Machine Quilting which has been a great help to me. Good luck! :D
    And a big thanks to you too Suzanne. I do OK with stippling, but it is trying to follow a stencil design that is freaking me out. I will check out her site.

Banned
    You're very welcome Donna. I hope you enjoy Diane's site and learn a bit from it - I know I do every time I visit. :D