Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bindin >

Bindin

Bindin

Old 02-13-2014, 09:38 AM

Question Bindin

I have no problem getting my binding on and I have learned to miter my corners. BUT when I go to put the ends together I end up with a twist in my binding. And I usually have to put it together several times to get it right. Any hints or tips? Thanks. Love this board.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

I love Heather's site! http://www.ankastreasures.wordpress.com/ click on Tutorials and then click on Heather's Continuous Binding Technique.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

I am thinking if you pin it where the seam will be and check it before sewing, you will get it right the first time.

I had bought the binding tool last fall at the quilt store and was using it for a while with great results. Then I ran across this tutorial and have been using it. I like this one better.

http://www.heirloomcreations.net/sew...ends-together/
Old 02-13-2014, 11:17 AM

Leave 10" of extra binding fabric at the beginning and the end when you are attaching binding. Leave at least 8 - 10" unstitched between the beginning and the end. Have the bulk of the quilt towards you and the edge away from you on a flat surface. Bring the two pieces of binding together in the center of the gap but leave about 1/4 inch of space between them. Fold the bindings back on themselves and mark the fold with a pin. Take the lefthand piece of binding and lay it out on the flat surface. Right side up. Reposition the pin if necessary so binding lays open and flat. Take the right hand piece of binding and lay it wrong side up matching the pins at the fold line of the binding at an exact 45 degree angle. Stitch on the diagonal and lay it down on quilt to check before trimming off the excess. Used to have the perfect pictures of this from someone's blog but can't find it now. May have to make my own! When making binding I always add the new piece wrong side up and draw a diagonal stitch line from the top left to bottom right. When ombined with this method of putting binding together all the bias stitching lines always all go the same direction. The little space between the two pieces of binding makes it all fit nice and snug. When you are sure things are right cut off the EXCESS from your stitching line. Finger press the seam open and refold the binding in half and stitch it to the quilt. This is probably as clear as mud. But it makes a great finish to your binding.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:40 AM

Thanks sew much for the tips. I can't wait to try them.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

I usually watch this Youtube video to get it right:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot7Tr...3664A7&index=1
Old 02-13-2014, 12:38 PM

Once I saw Marci Baker do this, I gave it a try and it's the only method I use. This video makes it look more difficult that it really is.

http://quiltwithmarcibaker.com/quilt...i-baker-video/
Old 02-13-2014, 01:52 PM

ArlaJo - Thanks for asking this question. I've been wondering how to do it, too.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:22 PM

thanks for the links everyone
Old 02-13-2014, 04:15 PM

Before I sew the binding on, I always press the starting end to a 45 degree angle. When I get back around, I open up the fold, overlap and mark the tail to equal the width of the binding strip (usually use 2-1/2"). Then cut it. I refold the end and tuck the tail into it and glue baste it. Then I can sew on the fold line and it's perfect.