Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Binding Color

I usually audition different fabrics till I find the one I like. Lay the top on the fabric so that just a little strip shows beyond the edge of the top--about the width your binding would be. Stand back a few feet and see if you like the way it looks. I personally am a big fan of stripes, cut on the bias. They are especially fun for a child's quilt. It all depends on the look you're after.
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork

"Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

I like using stripes, too, but always cut on the bias.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

Like many of the combinations we use with our fabric choices, this is a personal choice. If it is to be a gift then it is nice to make it something the receiver would like.

Bottom line: if you don't like it, don't do it.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I like to use a binding color the same as/or similar to one presently in the quilt. If I have a small amount of x color in the quilt and I want it to 'pop' more, I'll use that. Sometimes something that just coordinates with everything else in the quilt. I don't think I've ever done binding the same as the border. I like to use a different color to 'frame' the entire quilt.

I like to use a large print that contains the colors of the quilt and then cut on the bias. Or a stripe cut on the bias. And definitely a color that contrasts with the outermost border.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

As others have mentioned, try various fabrics for the binding. I find that is I take a picture, it helps with my decision. Good luck & post pictures, please.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Blog Entries
    I even make scrappy bindings from all the leftover fabric used in the quilt.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2