Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: With the binding, does it matter...?

Just reading about pinning/basting around edge of quilt before trimming (?) and binding...when do you know that binding should go from front and hand-stitched to the back or visa-versa? Thanks

Blog Entries
    If My binding is hand finished I machine sew it on the front and hand stitch on the back. If I am machine finishing the binding I machine attach the binding on back than machine stitch it on the front. Hope this helps.

Basically, machine sewing the binding down on the front and hand sewing on the back is the way I normally do it. IMHO feels it looks much nicer, but I do prefer the look of handwork anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    If My binding is hand finished I machine sew it on the front and hand stitch on the back. If I am machine finishing the binding I machine attach the binding on back than machine stitch it on the front. Hope this helps.
    I also do this. Alot depends on what the quilt is going to be used for. Babies and kids - that will be washed alot, machine finish on the front.

Maybe its a personal preference topic. (?)
    I machine stitch my binding on the front, turn and hand stitch to the back. On the Downy quilts they request the binding to be stitched well because of the repeated washings. So after hand stitching on the back I top stitch on the front binding. Since I hand stitched first I am sure to catch the back and get a nice
    finished binding.

You can do either way, there's no wrong or right way.

Blog Entries
    It is all a matter of personal preference :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by pieces
    Maybe its a personal preference topic. (?)
    I machine stitch my binding on the front, turn and hand stitch to the back. On the Downy quilts they request the binding to be stitched well because of the repeated washings. So after hand stitching on the back I top stitch on the front binding. Since I hand stitched first I am sure to catch the back and get a nice
    finished binding.
    Very good idea! I had not thought about machine stitching on the front after hand stitching on the back. I always machine stitch the front then hand stitched the back since I never could catch the back when I tried to machine stitch from the front and called it finished - love your idea of hand stitching the back then machine stitching the front.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Exactly the way I do my bindings, too.

It's what you like. I like to machine stitch on the front and hand stitch on the back. I have been known to machine stitch on the back and use a machine decorative stitch on the front. It depends on the quilt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast