Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: binding for hexagon

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    568
    Blog Entries
    1
    I need instructions...I did a fall table topper last year that is hexagon shape...do I just miter the corners at every turn?

    I am free motion quilting it...but not sure how to do the binding...have looked in all my books and tried to find something on line...but can't.
    So please share your knowledge with a novice.
    Thanks so much for any and all guidance.

    Love this board...my reading with my morning coffee.

  2. #2
    Super Member nursie76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Central PA
    Posts
    5,628
    I am not sure it's mitering, but you would do it just do it just as if you were doing it on a square piece. The angle just wouldn't be quite the same. That is what I have done on mine.

  3. #3
    Super Member sewcrafty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962
    I would just machine sew my binding on and I would just miter the corners as you go.

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,265
    yes, just do a mitre...even tho with a hexagon your corner's aren't 90 degrees, the technique is the same.

  5. #5
    Super Member plainpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Buckeye State
    Posts
    3,633
    Blog Entries
    11
    Here's a site that might help

    http://www.fromthebluechair.com/2010...-tutorial.html





    Quote Originally Posted by sumcoop
    I need instructions...I did a fall table topper last year that is hexagon shape...do I just miter the corners at every turn?

    I am free motion quilting it...but not sure how to do the binding...have looked in all my books and tried to find something on line...but can't.
    So please share your knowledge with a novice.
    Thanks so much for any and all guidance.

    Love this board...my reading with my morning coffee.

  6. #6
    Super Member hobo2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    2,691
    Blog Entries
    1
    Most of my tabletoppers I slipcase then quilt and finish with a 1.4" edge around. It gives them a nice finish.

  7. #7
    Power Poster erstan947's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12,048
    Blog Entries
    47
    On table runners I do not double the binding. I do a single thickness binding. It seems to me that it lays better.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    568
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    Most of my tabletoppers I slipcase then quilt and finish with a 1.4" edge around. It gives them a nice finish.
    I don't know what a slipcase is...can you explain.
    thanks

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    568
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    On table runners I do not double the binding. I do a single thickness binding. It seems to me that it lays better.
    Do you just sew on a single thickness like the double turn it and press under the raw edge?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    568
    Blog Entries
    1
    thank you all...please keep the comments coming...and instructions...love to read and learn and thanks for the tute...pictures are always good for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.