Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Binding question

I am ready to bind my quilt. Problem is I am either going to have to piece it several times or cut it across the grain. Will it hurt to do that? I hate to piece it so much. Help!

Blog Entries
    mamajack,
    Is this a bed quilt or a wall-hanging. If its a wall hanging do whats easiest. If a bedquilt, it really should have bias binding.....yes piecing
    karen

Quote Originally Posted by karen924
    mamajack,
    Is this a bed quilt or a wall-hanging. If its a wall hanging do whats easiest. If a bedquilt, it really should have bias binding.....yes piecing
    karen
    Why bias???? I always do mine straight, never had a problem! Only do bias if I am binding curves!

Blog Entries
    Binding is often pieced. You just need to piece it on the diagonal; doesn't show as much. There are Youtube videos on how to do this.

I use straight-grain binding on most of my quilts, no problem. The only time I use a bias binding is if there are curves.

Blog Entries
    I just finished my easy strip quilt with flange binding. Check it out in tutorials.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    Binding is often pieced. You just need to piece it on the diagonal; doesn't show as much. There are Youtube videos on how to do this.

I use straight-grain binding on most of my quilts, no problem. The only time I use a bias binding is if there are curves.
    I agree.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoventryUK
    Quote Originally Posted by karen924
    mamajack,
    karen
    Why bias???? I always do mine straight, never had a problem! Only do bias if I am binding curves!
    Me too:)

Piecing a binding on straight or bias for quilts without curves is like asking if the chicken or the egg comes first. :) its really up to you. Just my opinion.

But the tutorial here:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-29275-1.htm

Is great! I don't sew binding by hand and this has been a real help for me.

I only use bias when the edges are curved. That is never. I did hear once that bias binding wears longer. Don't know if that is true. I think it is all up to you, but straight is easier to work with and the joining seams are 42 inches apart so you don't have so many.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    I'm redo-ing the binding on an antique quilt and it wore out right along the seamline, it was straight pieced. While I do tend to use bias, I also use poly/cotton thread to piece. Its an oxymoron. My quilts will rip up before the binding wears out. I don't like quilt police and promise I will never check your binding if you promise not to check my thread....LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast