Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: binding question

binding question

morning! how many of you hand bind the back of your placemats? or do you machine bind both sides? and if you do machine bind both sides, do you attach to the back and then sew down the front? it seems to me they both hold up about the same, no problems....i machine bind the potholders......what do you do?
    thank you much!
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

I never hand bind a placemat. I machine attach to the front , pull to the back , and stitch in the ditch on the front side.

I machine stitch the front and hand stitch the back on everything I make. I just think it's a cleaner finish. Placemats will be seen way more close up than most quilts or wall hangings.

I try not to bind placemats at all. Put right sides together with batting, stitch around leaving a space to turn them right side out, and then stitch all the way around. I also use flannel for batting for placemats and table runnners and toppers. Makes them lay nice and flat.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Like M.I.Late, I handstitch the binding on everything I make. I prefer the look, and find it is plenty durable.

Power Poster
    I do machine binding on placemats, potholders and table runners. I like the sturdiness of all machine or things that I will wash a lot. I use Charismah's tutorial on Quick machine bindings with flange for an added fancy touch.

i was told to use flannel in the center and i would love it. ill also look for her tute. all suggestions have been helpful and tyvm for your help!
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

I prefer the look of hand stitched binding. But I love hand work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M.I.Late View Post
    I machine stitch the front and hand stitch the back on everything I make. I just think it's a cleaner finish. Placemats will be seen way more close up than most quilts or wall hangings.
    Same here, except the Quilts For Kids as they prefer machine binding due to the hospital washings.
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net