Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Binding question

I'm am doing the handwork part of binding on a quilt & have a question. When folding over to the back to hand sew should the binding be snug or loose?
    I've only done this a couple times before & don't remember it feeling so loose/flat-like. It just doesn't feel right.
    Anybody know what I mean?

Thanks in advance, I know you'll be able to help me.

It should have at least the quarter inch seam that you sewed on the front. Sometimes I leave more batting so my bindings will be more plump. I just fold it over so it covers the stiching from the front.

If I haven't left enough batting on the edges the binding feels flat. On some quilts I like it that way.

I fold it to be snug, but covering the stitches on the front that are from sewing the binding on the back...................clear as much, huh. LOL

Blog Entries
    I fold it over so that the stitches are covered, and the batting fills the inside of the binding. If it is too loose, there may not be batting in the outer edge of the binding :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    when you trim your quilt before adding binding, leave 1/4 of the batting showing past the raw edges of the quilt top. that will fill your binding better.

Yes, the quilt/batting should fill the binding and be tight against the quilt. That was noted as a plus on a quilt that I entered in a show, that the binding was tight.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    when you trim your quilt before adding binding, leave 1/4 of the batting showing past the raw edges of the quilt top. that will fill your binding better.
    agreed!

How large is your binding? I normally cut mine 2 1/4 inches and fold. The quilt should be squared and binding sewing 1/4 inch from the edge. When folding the binding to the back, the binding will be stitched covering the stitiches. This method leaves the binding full and taught.
    When working on curved edges, it is necessary to cut the binidng from bias.

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    Yes, the quilt/batting should fill the binding and be tight against the quilt. That was noted as a plus on a quilt that I entered in a show, that the binding was tight.
    I agree!