Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding Questions....not the norm >

Binding Questions....not the norm

Binding Questions....not the norm

Old 05-19-2015, 08:13 AM

Default Binding Questions....not the norm

While I wait for a package to arrive with fabric for me, I took on a job of making a memory quilt....gotta fund my addiction! All the clothing is cut down to a manageable size, ready to iron on the stabilizer. But I have 2 pairs of heavyweight khaki pants that were included with the clothing and given more importance the most of the other stuff. I cannot get a square big enough to use, but thought of maybe using strips from the legs to make the binding. I don't want to use a double thickness, since it is heavyweight. My biggest question is how wide of strips should I make? I usually start with a 2.5" strip, so would I just cut 1.25" strips? Looking at a ruler, 1.25" doesn't look wide enough. I am kind of leaning towards a 2" strip, pressing in half, then opening up and bringing outer edges to the crease and pressing again. Am I thinking correctly? Somebody help me, please!
Old 05-19-2015, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

All I can say is try it. I didn't like making a denim quilts so I would like the unevenness of cottons again a heavyweight khaki fabric. Good Luck.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:23 AM

When I make wallhangings I don't want a double thickness binding. I use a single fold that lays flat. I cut my strip at 2" wide, sew to quilt front with 1/4" seam, then fold to the back. There's enough binding to fold that in half, press it and sew it to the back. I think it's called a French flat fold binding.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

I often do single fold binding on small items or if the fabric is thicker. I cut a 1 inch wide strip of fabric, pin the 1/4 inch seam allowance to the front, fold to the back and mark an extra 1/4 inch past for the back seam allowance and cut off the extra. This gives me the actual width I will need to bind that particular item. What my measurement may be might be different from what you will need do so it is best to do a test strip.