Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding a quilt from back to front?? >

Binding a quilt from back to front??

Binding a quilt from back to front??

Old 01-24-2014, 09:53 AM

I also have used this method. But you have to be sure the backing goes with the front. Some of my backings are not a perfect match for the top so I use separate binding.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

I have done this way a few times but, I find it a bit harder to make do it this way. It is actually easier to me to do a separate binding.
Your quilt your way.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:57 AM
pw6

I agree it is much easier to double your binding and sew it onto the back first and turn it to the frons side and pin it down and sew in the seam line showing from the back stitching.. nice clean seams. pinning it keeps it from streaching as you sew..
Old 01-24-2014, 12:37 PM

I would probably do this if I was attaching binding by machine, still doing the double fold method, but I prefer it on the back if i am hand stitching it down
Old 01-25-2014, 04:26 AM

I have done self binding back to front if I particularly like the backing fabric. I do what appeals to me at the time. Since I quilt for my own pleasure and don't enter any competitions, who cares?
Old 01-25-2014, 04:37 AM

I have been doing this method the last few quilts. Faster.
sandy
Old 01-25-2014, 04:45 AM

I make a lot of charity quilts, so time is the decider on what I do. I fold the backing to the front and machine stitch it most of the time. Even if I use separate binding I like sewing it on the back and folding it to the front and then use a decorative stitch, usually the blanket type stitch, to sew it down. If I was taking the time to do an entire quilt by hand, then I would surely add separate binding to the front and stitch it down to the back by hand. But I have arthritis in my hands, so hand work is out of the question for me.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by SusanSusan33 View Post
Can you machine stitch it onto the front this way? I'm making 4 t shirts quilts from my XH's t-shirts and this might make for easier binding...
Of course you can machine stitch it to the front. In fact I wouldn't do it any other way.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:37 AM

Double binding when using backing for binding.

When we were making a lot of charity quilts, we always tied them. Then I trimmed the top and batt evenly, and folded the backing in so that only about 3/8 inch was still showing off the end of the quilt. The extra was tucked under, which made a double binding. In order to get nice square corners, I sewed almost to the corner, turned the next side down at a 45 degree angle, then folded it onto the quilt as it should be, and continued stitching.

I usually used a decorative stitch to hold this backing onto the front, and of course this pretty stitching showed on the back also. I made one with navy blue back, which folded to the front to make the binding, and then stitched a pretty pattern in Red. That was beautiful, and it showed on the back, too.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead View Post
I double fold, sew onto the back, fold to the front. I use a 5 to 6 inch needle as a stiletto. Once folded to the front, I insert the needle where I want the seam and point the needle on the back seam line and sew towards the needle. The front looks great and the back also, only a thicker line.
Syl
I do this sometimes too except with shorter needle - my mother did this on a lot of quilts - for some (unknown to me) she called it a tuxedo binding