Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding a quilt from back to front?? >

Binding a quilt from back to front??

Binding a quilt from back to front??

Old 01-25-2014, 10:46 AM

I do mine both ways. My DM who hand quilted all hers did hers to the front. When I do mine to the front I sometimes use a decorative stitch from my machine. Most of my hand sewn goes to the back.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:04 AM

I have a couple of quilts that were made in the 1930s that have the fabric brought from the back to the front. They both have the edge worn away. It starts to ravel away, thread by thread. So, the way I explain the reason I use bias is that when you fold the fabric from the back there is really one thread that runs all the way along that edge. It's the grain of the fabric. That edge gets more worn as the years go on..... edges always get the most wear. So, when that one thread wears out, the fabric rips. When you use bias, there are hundreds of threads, all crisscrossed along the edge. If one thread is weak, the other threads hold up. There is still more wear on the edge but so many threads make it last longer.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
Has anyone done this? I'm hand quilting a churn dash using 1930's material. I looked at the quilts by DH's grandmother made and all of them have the backing coming to the front for the binding. Any thoughts? pro? con?
[/I]

I just started a class this morning at Craftsy.com on this very subject. Mini Dietrich teaches this class and it is wonderful! The first class video is on "binding using quilt backing coming to the front". I love it! Check it out at craftsy.com.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

I have seen it done, but have used this method myself. When I started, I used a 1 1/2 inch single layer binding. I still do. I sometimes put fabric that I am not crazy about on the back, just to have a backing. Would not really care to see them on the front.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:15 PM

I saved instructions for machine binding from back to front that looks foolproof, but I haven't done it yet. If you do your binding this way, I'd love to hear your feedback.

http://www.52quilts.com/2012/05/tues...c-binding.html

Last edited by Shoofly1; 01-25-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:12 PM

Thread head can you further expalin your technique. Barb
Old 01-25-2014, 07:42 PM

my mother always used this method. so do i when my backing allows it. i fold the back even with the quilt then fold over again which actually makes a double thickness of material on the edge
Old 01-25-2014, 09:53 PM

Barb, the last quilt I made I was going to use a 2 1/2 strip for binding, but the material was a little to thick, so I used a 3 inch strip for binding. I use my walking foot and the side of the foot for a guide. which makes the seam a little more than 1/4 inch, but I don't care as long as I am consistent. I don't like a real thin binding. Nor 1/4 inch seams. lol. Once the binding is on, it is measures just about 1/2 inch wide.
I make sure the edges of the quilt are even. Sew the binding on the back. If you put your binding on the top of the quilt when sewing, it is easier to miter the corners.
Once the back binding is on I start folding and pinning the corners, pinning about an inch down from the corner and pinning along the seam. I use my long needle as a stiletto to push the bottom material of the miter way up in the corner and fold the top down to make a perfect corner and pin it down. Three pins to a corner.
I start sewing in the middle of the quilt, leaving about 6 inches of binding for matching up . I fold the binding over and insert the needle where I want the top seam to be and point it down to the back seam and sew towards the needle. You should be sewing right on the back seam, or in the ditch. Hopes this helps.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
Of course you can machine stitch it to the front. In fact I wouldn't do it any other way.
Thank you so much!! I love this idea!