Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: binding a quilt????

binding a quilt????

when you bind a quilt is the binding surpost to be the same size on the front as the back? I sewed the binding on the front of the quilt and turned it to the back and will hand sew that part but it is a little bigger on the back then the front. is that a nono.. thanks

Blog Entries
    I'm not a purist so my binding on the back is always a little bigger than the binding on the front. It generally is just enough to cover the stitch line from sewing the binding on the front
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

If it bothers you, just don't pull it as tightly, toward the back. I like mine to be just a tad wider, in the back, because I then go back and machine SITD from the front.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Don't worry about "supposed to". It's your quilt and you made it and it's all yours to brag about.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Just enough to cover the machine sewing. If it feels floppy to you and you like a fuller binding get some left over batting and cut a sliver tuck it next to the machine sewing and when you flip it over it and hand stitch it gives it a fuller look . Whatever makes you happy. I have heard it said a fuller binding last longer but you can hear anything, pro or con on just about anything LOL

Blog Entries
    It is just fine to have the back at bit wider.

Try making a few samlples with scraps and use different widths of binding till you find what you like to work with. Different quilts can handle different widths of binding.

peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni C View Post
    I have heard it said a fuller binding last longer but you can hear anything, pro or con on just about anything LOL
    So True!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Thanks eveyone this quilt will go in my fair ..so was just wondering if I will get points off for that..but oh well it is the best I can do and if I don't place that is ok too..it's just fun putting things in the fair...Thanks again

As somebody's signature says: Those that mind, don't matter and those that matter don't mind!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I was told by a teacher who has entered in many judged shows the following: 1) judges will check to see if binding is full of batting. 2) the corners are important and checked closely for being square and being blind stitched down. But each judge looks at things differently and if you took the same quilt to different shows you could get completely different comments and results. Use their comments as a way to improve your work but don't let yourself be hurt by them.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast