Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
binding a quilt >

binding a quilt

binding a quilt

Old 07-19-2010, 08:48 AM

I sometimes have a problem with stetching the quilt or the binding when I am attaching it. Would it help to stitch the end of the quilt to keep it from stretching? I pin my binding on, but by the time I get to the end of one side, I have a little more binding than measured. When my quilts are long armed, the quilter usually trims and stitches the edge of the quilt. Was wondering if this would help me too.

It's possible that my old machine couldn't handle the bulk and so I had to pull. Maybe this won't happen with my new Janome. It has a lot of bells and whistles since it's a quilting machine. I just haven't gotten to binding on my new machine, but will very soon.

Any advice?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

I glue my binding on :wink: It can't stretch, move or misbehave while you are sewing it on LOL

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-29275-1.htm
Old 07-19-2010, 08:55 AM

the longarmer stitches the edge of the quilt before she quilts, it's to hold the edges down so they're not turned as you go onto the top from the batting. I think Mine may stretch just a bit, is it enough to cause a problem or are you just wanting it to come out just like you measured?
Old 07-19-2010, 09:03 AM

I make sure my quilt is squared up & trimed before I pin the binding on, but I don't measure the binding. I allow enough for making the final bias seam & cut the leftover off.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I mark the cutting line with a Sharpie first, then stitch around the quilt edge with a large basting stitch -- usually just a little inside that marked Sharpie line.

Next I sew my binding on, raw edges of the binding lined up with the Sharpie marked line.

Last, I cut the quilt sandwich on the marking line (or adjust the cutting a little to one side of the line or the other, depending if I want a little more or less inside the binding).

All of these things help me keep from stretching either the quilt or the binding.

Oh, and I also heavily starch the binding fabric before I cut the binding strips; this keeps the folded binding stable while I am handling it and also helps prevent it from stretching.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:16 AM

My walking foot solved my problem with stretch.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:19 AM

If the binding is cut on the bias you will get more stretch. I just cut enough binding to do the quilt with some left over to finish it off well and then the rest goes in my strip piece basket.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by RevPam
Yes, won't do binding without my walking foot. It ended so many frustrations of stretched edges.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:52 PM

I always stitch around the quilt before putting on the binding. I stay close to the raw edge so when you stitch the binding on the stitching doesn't even show, yet the quilt and the binding don't have any puckers. I also starch my binding and glue it on the quilt before stitching. Makes it so much easier and the end result looks so good.

Suzy
Old 07-19-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by RevPam
Mine too! Come to think of it, my walking foot has solved a LOT of my problems! lol