Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Binding Quilts

Binding Quilts

I just sent my first quilt off to get quilted. I am in the process of moving and am going to have her attach the binding to save me some time (plus I have never done it and won't have the time for a while).

My options are have her machine attach and I finish, her her do the whole thing by machine or have her attach by machine and hand finish.

What's the best way if I have her do it all? I have the cost breakdown and am comfortable with all three. Help!! Suggestions from seasoned quilters would be much appreciated! Meghan

Since I do the binding myself (unfortunately!), I do everything by machine. I don't enjoy hand sewing and I believe machine sewing it will hold better through multiple washings. And my quilts get washed regularly. I do think hand sewn looks nicer though.
    Heather

I think it depends on what kind of quilt it is. For a child's quilt that will be roughly handled, binding entirely by machine may be best and is certainly appropriate. For an heirloom quilt, or one that you will enter in a show, machine attach and hand finish. I don't mind binding, so I finish all of mine by hand.

Thanks for your replies. The quilt is for my daughter (she is 23) and she plans on using it on her bed - from what I have read it sounds like all machine is better for wear and tear.

I prefer sewing on by machine and then hand finishing. It just gives it such a nice look.

I have always attached by machine and hand sewn them down. Even my monsters quilts and they get washed and handled regularly. One is 8 years old I have never had an issue. It's all in how you like the finished product, I've seen experienced quilters be able to make machine finishing the binding look great. I would want to see examples of her work on the two methods...good luck!!
    *Rachel*