Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Binding

Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    I think that 2.5 is standard...I've been doing it at 3 inches - I like it better
    Me, too. It's easier to whip stitch and I like to see it on the back.
    froggyintexas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by terri bb
    at 3" how far in do you sew it on the front side?? so you have a wider bind on the front?? and so you leave any extra fabric on the frontside or do you cut it off even with the edge of the quilt?
    Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    I think that 2.5 is standard...I've been doing it at 3 inches - I like it better
    I like to use 3" so it takes just a tiny bit bigger bite of the edge. I stitch about 3/8" from the edge. I balance the seam so when I wrapped it to the back it comes just to the seam. I use 2 1/2" on wall hangings.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EIQuilter
    Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605
    I like my binding wide. so I cut usually a 5" strip and fold in half sew 1/4" to quilt and then fold over to the back. it ends op being around a 1" finished binding around the whole quilt. But it also depends on the size of the quilt that I am making. the smaller the quilt usually means thinner binding. I know that I am probably really really weird and totally in the minority here but it is what i like and you should play around with your widths till you find one you like best.
    When you have a binding that wide, how do you trim your quilt? Do you trim all three layers the same, or do you leave the batting and/or backing larger than the top?
    I use 3" doubled, trim all 3 layerss at a time , if Iwant single binding then use 2 1/4"".

guess I am odd man out, I cut 2 3/8" for double fold. It fits better for me, even if it is only cut 1/8" smaller.

Blog Entries
    I usually do 2-1/4. Do you still sew 1/4 inch in when you sew 2-1/2 to front of the quilt?

Quote Originally Posted by EIQuilter
    Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605
    I like my binding wide. so I cut usually a 5" strip and fold in half sew 1/4" to quilt and then fold over to the back. it ends op being around a 1" finished binding around the whole quilt. But it also depends on the size of the quilt that I am making. the smaller the quilt usually means thinner binding. I know that I am probably really really weird and totally in the minority here but it is what i like and you should play around with your widths till you find one you like best.
    When you have a binding that wide, how do you trim your quilt? Do you trim all three layers the same, or do you leave the batting and/or backing larger than the top?
    I usually trim my quilts at 1/2 inch past the unfinished edge of the top. If I'm using straight grain binding, I cut 4" wide strips and fold them in half. I stitch the 2 layers to the quilt [I think stitching to the back and bringing it around to the front will look best]. Mitering the corners is also important, of course.

If I am using bias binding, I cut 2 inch strips usually and run them through my Simplicity Binding Maker. I have used it for straight grains strips and it will fold those just as well also.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5