Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Binding?

I'm trying to remember, i need to bind my wallhanging, and i use a straight strip of fabric, fold in half and press, then sew 1/4 seam on front, and flip to back. I'm trying to remember if i start with a 2" strip, or a 2 1/2" strip???

Izy
    All depends what size finished binding you want Barb. Heres a download giving you examples :D

***coyrighted material deleted***

Oh thank you Izy...i guess i thought i needed a little extra width for the puffiness of the batting? But maybe not.

Izy
    Barb, you stitch the relavant distance from the edge 1/4" = 1/4" AND you can trim your batting and backing slightly larger than your top to give more 'puff' to your binding too, but it can get abit bulky at the corners though :D

Barb, it's 2-1/2. I use a 2-3/4 if I want it wider.

I know your gonna love me....I use 2 1/4" .....yep right smack in the middle of what you thought...:-) .....Okay I have used all three...but like the look of the 2 1/4 the most.....you might try a small sampler and see which you prefer....good luck....:-)

I was taught by quilt teacher to always use 21/4 also.
    Guess its what ever you prefer.
    Gale

Quote Originally Posted by gcathie
    I know your gonna love me....I use 2 1/4" .....yep right smack in the middle of what you thought...:-) .....Okay I have used all three...but like the look of the 2 1/4 the most.....you might try a small sampler and see which you prefer....good luck....:-)
    I use 2 1/4", too. It's big enough to cover the stitches in the back without being too tight around the seam (edge of the quilt). This is my standard. My binding usually matches the outer border, too. If I were using a constasting binding, I'd probably try it wider, but maybe not. I'm in this little pieces and thin strip mood lately. The smaller the piece and the thinner the strip, the happier I am. Go figure... :?

Quote Originally Posted by Barb M
    I'm trying to remember, i need to bind my wallhanging, and i use a straight strip of fabric, fold in half and press, then sew 1/4 seam on front, and flip to back. I'm trying to remember if i start with a 2" strip, or a 2 1/2" strip???
    I always cut 2 1/2" strips, that way I have enough to flip over to the back and slip stitch in place.

Here's what works for me....I cut 2 1/2" strips then fold in half....sew the binding on the front with a 3/8" seam, fold to the back and hand stitch.
    Using a 3/8" seam gives me about the same width of binding on each side of the quilt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast