Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
binding >

binding

binding

Old 12-20-2011, 07:47 PM

Default binding

I just put binding on the quilt by machine , yes it was faster but I will not do it that way again. I like sewing on the front and hand stitch on the back.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:49 PM

If you want it perfect then your way is best...I like to use the machine when I am in a hurry. It does get neater with practice.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

Mind if I ask why you won't do it that way again ? just curious - I have never done it that way but always wanted to try it
Old 12-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Banned

IF it is done right, and very well, it can look ok on wall hangings and such...but I do find it rather tacky on a quilt and prefer it done the proper way hand stitched to the back myself!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:07 PM
QM
Power Poster

I don't know her reasoning. When I am in a hurry, I generally do pillowcase (birthing) style, which is very fast. Today, I just did my third, I think, try at machine binding. This time was much better than the others. I was planning to post on my experience, so this is as good a place as any. What I learned:
1. Mitering the corners by hand before doing the rest makes it go more easilyl
2. As much as I dislike pinning, it makes the job go better. Pins about 2" apart.
3. "Double" blanket stitch is to heavy and makes the binding to stiff. Single is OK.
4. Machine binding, with all its prep is a bit better than twice as fast as my hand binding.
5. For a charity baby quilt, which one must assume will have heavy wear, machine binding is definitely stronger,

My first try at machine binding was probably 5 years ago and I swore 'never again!'. My Janome dealer said I should try it with my new machine, I still prefer the feel of hand bound for myself.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:10 AM

I also prefer the look of hand sewing the binding to the back. There are times I do it on the machine though. When I do, I sew the binding to the back and glue baste it to the front. Then I stitch the binding down from the front. It takes some practice on scraps to adjust the seams just right, especially because my needle is a hair off-center (got to remember to get that fixed after the holidays). When done, I'm just catching the binding on the front and the seam falls pretty close to the seam on the back. The corners come out great! Glue basting holds it in place so that it doesn't pull away - much easier to catch the binding in the stitching that way. I did just finish one. I have pics in the camera, but haven't had time to upload them yet. I'll try to remember to post them when I do.

Last edited by katier825; 12-21-2011 at 02:11 AM. Reason: added text
Old 12-21-2011, 04:07 AM

I've done it both ways too, and I also prefer to handstitch to the back. I spent more time messing around trying to get the stitcing on the front to lie in the seam on the back than it was worth to me. I usually handstitch my bindings at night while watching tv. Keeps me warm at the same time
Old 12-21-2011, 04:56 AM

I haven't been quilting very long and always machine sewed my binding until one day I decided to try machine sewing the binding to the front of the quilt and hand sewing to the back...now I don't want to do it any other way...love the look of the hand sewn binding on the back.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:08 AM

I agree with the hand sewing of the binding. The machine just doesn't look quite as good to me either. It takes longer but definitely looks better.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:09 AM

I prefer machine binding totally ... first I sew it onto the back, iron it over, maybe glue it down then sew a fancy stitch from the front. Most bedquilts it won't show on anyway.

Of course I do have arthritis.

If it were a show quilt then I'd probably take my time and bind it the 'regular' way.

ali