Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding >

Binding

Binding

Old 04-16-2014, 06:27 PM

I use 2" all the time now. When one of my quilts were judged, a judge told me that I was ready for 2" bindings and my quilts would look better, so I do it all the time. Two inches is fine unless you are binding a purse, bag or something that may be two thick to wrap the edges with the 1" you have after it is folded.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:04 PM

I use 2" also. It makes for a nice crisp binding that is the same width on front and back. I think it looks better than 2.25" or 2.5".
Old 04-16-2014, 07:55 PM
Power Poster

A lot depends on your batting. I usually do 2" for my bindings, but it might not be enough for a thicker batting.

Your best bet is to make a sample quilt sandwich using your batting, cut a 2" strip, then apply it and see how it looks. If it's too difficult to turn the binding to the wrong side to cover up the machine stitching, then you may want to cut the strips a little wider.

Incidentally, I recommend ironing the binding away from the quilt body before turning; makes turning much easier and the binding more even on the wrong side!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:59 PM

It all depends on the thickness of the batting. If the batting is thick then I cut mine 3 inches wide and use a wider seam. Hope that made sense.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:55 AM

I use to use 2 1/2 now I use 2 1/4. I just did a scallop edge and it called for 2 inches. That's what I did but I found it a little tight. I prefer 2 1/4.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
A lot depends on your batting. I usually do 2" for my bindings, but it might not be enough for a thicker batting.

Your best bet is to make a sample quilt sandwich using your batting, cut a 2" strip, then apply it and see how it looks. If it's too difficult to turn the binding to the wrong side to cover up the machine stitching, then you may want to cut the strips a little wider.

Incidentally, I recommend ironing the binding away from the quilt body before turning; makes turning much easier and the binding more even on the wrong side!
Totally agree with the recommendation to press the binding away from the quilt body. It made it so much easier for me to bind the last quilt - I didn't feel like I was fighting to keep the binding folded over while I was stitching. I use the clips that look like old fashioned hair clips - and use about 10 at a time a few inches apart to hold down the next section of the binding.

Cheers, K
Old 04-17-2014, 06:37 AM

I know a very good quilter who prefers a very narrow binding and she uses 2" strips. Personally I like the look of a slightly wider binding and use 2 1/4". If I am using a thinner batting NOT polyester puff or wool. I usually leave an extra 1/4" of batting past the top when trimming so I can fold it over and have a nice full binding.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:50 AM

I always cut my binding 2 inches. I prefer a narrower binding. You can actually cut it any size you want. I had a friend cut a binding 1-3/4" because she didn't have enough fabric to make it wider. It turned out great. Go with your preference.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:52 AM
DJ

I think I'm going to start cutting 2" binding strips. I've always used 2 1/4". I use warm and white/natural batting. The only trouble I have with 2" binding is covering the corners. Lately I've been cutting the corners off diagonally (not cutting through the binding), and the corners turn much better. I just tried it on a small wall hanging and it worked great.

You need to do what works for you, of course.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:21 AM

I'm going to be the odd one out here...i always do my binding at 3" then fold. My quilt bindings are generally the width of my walking foot - which gives me about 3/8" seam allowance - or 3/8 - 1/2" binding showing on the front side...usually a little more showing on the back side. It's what works best and easiest for me....so i would suggest you use whatever works best for you - as we have all agreed, there are not quilt police.