Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding >

Binding

Binding

Old 10-14-2014, 03:36 AM

Default Binding

I am nearing finishing this quilt. The backing is polar fleece. My question is;

Do I use the polar fleece to bind or the cotton fabric same as outer border.?
The dog would not move when she saw the camera, her name is Fudge.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 10-14-2014, 03:41 AM

I recently made a quilt with fleece backing and used fabric from the front for the binding. Honestly don't think it would matter either way.

Fun quilt you have there! AND cute pup.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:50 AM

Dogs and cats and kids seem to want their pictures taken don't they? Cute puppy and very cute quilt.

I've never used the polar fleece, so don't really know a lot about it, but isn't the polar fleece a lot thicker than the cotton? Would you do a single layer of it, or would you try to double it like a cotton binding? I think your cotton binding would be more durable. If you notice, most fleece blankets are just serge stitched or have a true satin blanket binding. Just thing to consider.....Now let's hear what the experts say.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:00 AM

I would not use fleece to bind mainly because it stretches and will distort as its used. I'd go with cotton binding to give it more strength. Very cute quilt by the way.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Dogs and cats and kids seem to want their pictures taken don't they? Cute puppy and very cute quilt.

I've never used the polar fleece, so don't really know a lot about it, but isn't the polar fleece a lot thicker than the cotton? Would you do a single layer of it, or would you try to double it like a cotton binding? I think your cotton binding would be more durable. If you notice, most fleece blankets are just serge stitched or have a true satin blanket binding. Just thing to consider.....Now let's hear what the experts say.

If I did use fleece it would be single sewn on the front and hand stitched on the back.

Thank you for your replies.

Fudge is very feminine and loves a fuss and pictures. My other dog Freya hates pictures being taken and disappears quicker the lightening when the camera comes out.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:19 AM
dd

When I used fleece for the backing on a couple quilts, I cut the backing larger(mine was 1"), folded it to the front and used the blanket stitch on my machine to stitch it down. I really didn't have much trouble with it stretching. You know it will stretch and you know to be careful. It was a very easy finish. They were for kids to drag around and I wasn't worried about anything fancy.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
If I did use fleece it would be single sewn on the front and hand stitched on the back..................
I have used fleece for a backing, but have used a regular cotton binding.
I like the stability of it compared to the stretch of the fleece.

What I find difficult is to pick up enough of the fleece backing when doing my hand stitching to know that it truly is stitched (without coming thru to the front). Honestly, I think it would be even more awkward to try to work with both binding and backing in the fleece, while keeping my stitching almost invisible. To say the least about the stretch issues of a fleece as a binding.

Here's one that I did ......
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t239508.html

Last edited by QuiltE; 10-14-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:08 PM

Thank you QuiltE . I sandwiched mine same way. I have done a cotton binding and it went on well. Polar fleece has less stretch than the thinner fleece.
Just going to add a few spiders ready for Halloween although not done for that time.