Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding >

Binding

Binding

Old 11-17-2014, 03:29 AM

Ohhhh, you're good!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It generally takes me about five-six days to bind a quilt - size doesn't matter. I do one side a day and when I get tired, I quit. But the wine sure tastes good - Say, have you tried the chocolate wine? Talk about heaven. Bind a quilt and have a Choco-Vin!!!!!! Can't find it up here too much anymore - But it sure is good! I am partial to Chardonnay (ice cold) and Tawny Port (room temp - before bed - after I get through sewing in the evening.) Love Mogen David and Manischewitz too. Oh, heck, give me some fabric, a pattern and a glass of wine and I'll follow you anywhere!!!!! Really good in icy cold weather too.. Right now we have like +7 degrees outside. And I am going out for lunch with my special quilting buddy - Guess what we are going to talk about and over a glass of guess what?????? Have a great day! Edie
Old 11-17-2014, 05:59 AM

Two hours doesn't surprise me. Sewing binding is my time to reflect on the fact that I actually finished and also time to just relax.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:04 AM

I must be really slow. I am binding an x large king size and been at it for days. I knot every three stitches - does everyone do that? I had to repair a few places in that time also.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:04 AM

It takes me about a good 6 hours (2 hours a night) to hand sew the binding on a 72 x 72 quilt size. Guess I am slow.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
I love hand sewing the binding! Since I watch football or basketball, etc. depending on the season, it probably takes me longer than most as I am often watching the game instead of sewing. That's OK. I'm having fun.
Yea! This is my theory too! Love to do binding while I watch the Packers or Brewers!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:30 AM

Would say two hours is just a little long, but not much. I know that once I sew the binding on to the body of the quilt by machine on the front side I can whiz a long pretty quickly turning and sewing it to the back but I have never done a timed test. I will soon though. I have a little holiday quilted wall hanging that will be about 40 x 40.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:10 AM

When I do my bindings by hand, I settle myself down in my recliner, cup of hot whatever and watch TV while I'm doing it. I decide how many days I want to spend on the hand sewing, divide the area up and start sewing. Seems to just fly for me instead of trying to do it all at one time. I have arthritis in both my hands so trying to work at it for long periods of time just isn't in the cards for me. I usually just work on it for about an hour or so if I'm close to the stopping point.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:05 AM

Your time sounds quick to me. A lot does depend on distractions, as well as the fabric, thread, and needle used. In any case, the result is always worth it to me.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

I did a much larger one yesterday. I was sewing on dark green fabric with dark green thread and wanted to get it done before dark. I was surprised to get it done so fast. I didn't time myself.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:35 PM

I can sew a binding on a king size quilt in 6 hours listening to a book on tape. The same size quilt takes over 9 hours when I am watching tv as I sew on the binding.