Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding thread ? >

Binding thread ?

Binding thread ?

Old 11-10-2010, 08:18 AM

I am at the binding stage of my commissioned quilt and now have a question, I've been reading about threads on the board and who likes what, I usually use Gutermann all purpose thread, so since I've read that you should use cotton thread for cotton fabrics, I decided to take a closer look at my threads, they are ALL 100% polyester!!!! Should I go ahead and use this or should I go out and buy cotton thread? I think the reason I bought the all purpose thread is because the cotton thread says for hand quilting and I'm not a hand quilter. Please help. I want/need to finish this quilt this week. Thank you so much. Quilt top is cotton, quilt back is flannel.

T.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:18 AM

I use and love Gutterman thread.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 AM

Even the poly on cotton quilts?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 AM

I don't see anything wrong with using the Gutermann thread.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Banned

The specific thread to use is one of those quilting myths.
Use what works for you. There is no evidence (and this is from the thread companies) that polyester threads cut the fabric. Thread is made differently now than 30 or so years ago. If Gutterman, Mettler, or the cheep kind works for you then use it. I specifically like the old Coats and Clark mercherised thread. Can't get this any longer. One must be their own tester about thread. I've used old thread that originally sold for 50 cents. Works fine.
Test the thread and if strong then use it.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:32 AM

Me too. I use any thread that works. I have found thread from the GoodWill and used it with no problem. Cheap is fine and so is expensive. I would not through out any thread. Use what you want.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
The specific thread to use is one of those quilting myths.
Use what works for you. There is no evidence (and this is from the thread companies) that polyester threads cut the fabric. Thread is made differently now than 30 or so years ago. If Gutterman, Mettler, or the cheep kind works for you then use it. I specifically like the old Coats and Clark mercherised thread. Can't get this any longer. One must be their own tester about thread. I've used old thread that originally sold for 50 cents. Works fine.
Test the thread and if strong then use it.
Thank you Holice, I've never had a problem with the Gutermann thread and I've used it since I began quilting a couple of years ago, and I really do like it, but since I joined this board I've learned so much and discovered so many new products, I'm questioning my choices. It's great learning new things.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 AM

[quote=Holice]The specific thread to use is one of those quilting myths.
Use what works for you. There is no evidence (and this is from the thread companies) that polyester threads cut the fabric. Thread is made differently now than 30 or so years ago. /quote]

The way I heard the use cotton thread on cotton fabric idea justified was that the cottons will all wear the same, whereas polyester doesn't wear the same as cotton. So you get something made of all the same materials and it stays the same better. Which made sense to me :)
Old 11-10-2010, 09:27 AM

The only thing I won't use is old thread. My mother gave me a whole box of thread that must have been 40 years old. I tried piecing with it and the thread kept breaking....very aggravating...when I mentioned it to a quilting friend she told me that old thread loses it's flexibility so the strenght has been compromised and it breaks easily...you don't want that attempting to hold together your quilt....so if you know it's more than 30 or 40 years old....I say toss it.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:43 AM

I have problems with thread, I could get my stitches even, that's when I realized it was the thread and not me. So if you are getting your stitches the way you like them, then I see no reason to change.