Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
binding your quilt >

binding your quilt

binding your quilt

Old 02-02-2014, 09:05 AM

Default binding your quilt

Hi All,

Can I get some advice on binding my quilts. The problem I am having is the drag as I try to sew my binding on. I have my machine in a drop in cabinet so my space is all level. I have tried an ironing board level with my cabinet to put the quilt on but that doesn't seem to be working or else I am doing that wrong. Tried throwing over my shoulder. No luck. Should I pin the binding on? Would that help? Any suggestions would be great!

Nettie
Old 02-02-2014, 09:12 AM

I roll my binding and clip the roll with a clothes pin...feeding out sections at a time...and make sure my quilt stays on the table. Haven't had a problem. Are you pulling on the binding maybe??...I assume you are using a walking foot?? Sorry...guess that's not much help.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:15 AM

Is the drag on the binding or the quilt being too heavy? I pin my bindings on sometimes, other times not. I do use a machine that I set on a table to support the weight of the quilt..... a folding table might help with that. And I do roll the binding and put it in my lap when I don't pin. On a very big quilt, it can get awkward...... good luck.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:04 AM

On a king sized quilt we recently finished, I put a folding table next to my left side and put the quilt on that. As I was sewing the binding, my wife would pull the bulk of the quilt keeping it even with my sewing. That worked well.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

I just make sure the whole quilt is up on my table and sew with my walking foot. I have not had a problem with drag and I just loosely pool the extra quilt in my lap. Don't make the mistake of rolling your quilt, it just makes it more cumbersome.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:05 AM

LifeTime had a 2" x 4" appprox. table that is adjustable that I often use behind my machine and another that I can put off to my right side and to my right side. These tables fold up, take up very little space for storage, and are affordable. I got my first one at an office supply store and then other one from Costco or Sam's Club.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:07 AM

Try the Sharon Schamber Elmer's glue method. Works like a dream for binding.