Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Binding...yuck!

Ok so I have a question about binding. So far I have never ever hand sewn the binding on. One, because I'm lazy and two, because I don't want to. LOL But...I'm tossing the idea around for the quilt I'm currently working on. So, I need a little guidance. Is it a big deal if I just machine stitch it down? If I hand sew will it hold up to washing? I'm just afraid it won't be as strong. What kind of stitch do you use? If my mom lived here I would bat my eyes and ask her to do it. Probably wouldn't work but I would try. :D

Appreciate your input...

I've done it both ways. I prefer machine stitching cause it's quicker. Both have held up well through multiple washings.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    I've done it both ways. I prefer machine stitching cause it's quicker. Both have held up well through multiple washings.
    Love your avatar!

Blog Entries
    I think a hand-sewn binding looks better on the quilt. But I don't do show quilts. Sewing the binding by hand can be relaxing, as well. But if you don't want to, there is no reason not to do it by machine. I attach it to the back and sew it down to the front with one of the simple decorative stitches on my machine.

I was the same way, but once I looked up every single tutorial on handsewing the binding and actually doing it, I'm hooked. It is very relaxing and somehow very gratifying. Try it- you'll love it!

Try watching this tutorial on you tube. It really helped me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W--xgi4nux8

Blog Entries
    I have only done hand sewing (to the back) on my quilts. DGD's crib quilt is 9 yrs old and she still drags it around the house. Through the dog hair, dirt and dust bunnies. :shock: so it gets a lot of washing . . . she has yet to ask 'grammy' to fix-it.

Blog Entries
    I still sew mine on by machine from the front, pull it to the back and hand stitch it down with a double thread. My stitches are not super small but also not gallopping horse size either and mine have held up to solid use. The binding on my favorite quilt is getting very thin but the seam is still solid. It is a great thing to do while the TV is on.

Blog Entries
    I like this tutorial video by craftygemini for hand sewing binding on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJvDO...feature=relmfu

Blog Entries
    I stitch mine down by hand but I love doing handwork. I have even put it on the quilt by hand.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast