Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Birdsnest on bottom--help please >

Birdsnest on bottom--help please

Birdsnest on bottom--help please

Old 10-16-2012, 11:20 AM

Default Birdsnest on bottom--help please

I have a Bernina 1630 that has started to take the top thread and make a birdsnest on the bottom. I took it to a Bernina dealership, paid over $80 and when I sewed with it today, after about 3 minutes, it started doing it again. Anyone have any suggestions as the dealership is a ways away from me?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

What did your dealer say about the problem?

Did you try it out before bringing it home from the dealer?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:38 AM

What are you trying to sew?

Is this only happening when trying to do FMQ and if so make sure that you do not have weight of the quilt causing any drag as this can cause birdnests. Trust me I know. Make sure that you have your quilt well supported and fairly even with the sewing machine. Even try turning the machine on its side and build up an area to support the weight.

Also are you using the same thread in the bobbin as the top - this can also cause a problem.

I hope you sort the problem out soon.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:38 AM

When that happens to me, it is either the top tension, or I forgot to lower the foot.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:49 AM

I was told if the problem is on the bottom of what you are sewing, the solution is the top thread.....
are you sure you have the top thread, threaded correctly ?????
when was the last time you changed your needle ????

I have had problem with sewing, and discovered (more than once) that my thread coming off my spool was getting caught in the little cut that holds the end of the thread.....I try now to put that side of the spool in first (and no I don't always remember, but I try.....

If all else fails, CALL your dealer...ask what they did for $80.....they SHOULD be able to walk you thru a solution.....

and may I strongly recommend you insist on sitting down and test driving your machine after service in the future....
I had a very similiar problem.....had to make another trip to my dealer (over 100 miles away) sat and waited for the repair and then did a test drive on machine.....the only way I will do it in the future..... and that learning curve was only fifty years in the making.....
Old 10-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

Is it regular sewing or FMQ? If regular sewing my machine will sometimes eat or birds nest when I sew triangles together. I have taught myself to start sewing 1/4 inch from the edge, back stitch to the corner and then proceed to sew forward. If it is FMQ it could be a number of things. It could be the thread, batting or fabric you are using. Try changing those one at a time and see if you can find the answer. Did they try it out at the store and it was working fine there? As others have mentioned, I don't leave the shop until I do a test run.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

KRob ... you may be wondering about all our comments to test it out before you leave the repair shop.
You see ... it may be doing everything right for them.
And if you do it in front of them, you know it is working .... or if it something you are doing, then they can help you trouble shoot.

Add to the fact, be sure to tell them all the variables of when problems are happening. The best is to take a sample of the work. That way they can duplicate it in their testing as they repair ... and again, when you test drive before leaving for home, duplicate the fabrics/battings/thread, etc. that the problem was with.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

Before calling the dealer, make sure that you are threading the machine correctly, even if you've been doing it for years. Get the manual out and double check. Make especially sure that when you thread it, the presser foot is up so that the thread goes thru the tension disks. Put the foot down when you thread the needle. Then, with the foot down, gently pull the thread from the needle towards the back of the machine. There should be tension on the thread. Sew a sample. If this doesn't work, then I agree with everyone to call the dealer.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and No, shame on me but I did not try it out before I left---never have had to before, but..... I have not done any FMQ, this is just plain ol' sewing. At first, I was sewing thru minkee fabric, but now I'm trying on scraps, same weight of thread, just different colors and I have changed needles. I'll email the dealer and also try using a Bernina LQS closer to our new home. I've tried adjusting the top tension, but..... Thanks for your suggestions, I so appreciate it.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:24 PM

turn your machine off. Rethread everything re do the bobbin. try it again.