Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Birthing a quilt >

Birthing a quilt

Birthing a quilt

Old 11-07-2012, 09:05 AM

Default Birthing a quilt

I have a question. When you sew a quilt together to then "birth' it, do you put the batting to the edge and sew thru all 3 layers, or do you sew only the top and backing together and fuse, or whatever, the batting up to the sewing line? I'm wondering if you sew thru all 3 layers that you will actually end up with a double layer of batting on the edges when you turn it right side out. Just wondering.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:18 AM

Any time I do it I use a low loft batt and sew through all three layers at once. Then I trim the seam allowance to about 3/8". After I turn it right side out (birth it) I top stitch about 1/4" from the edge all around the outside to finish it off. It leaves the edge no more bulky than if you used a regular double fold binding. I've never tried it with a high loft batt though. I do this for some of the quilts I donate because it's quicker than a traditional binding. Hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:45 AM

I too sew all the way around through all layers then when I get to where I want the opening I trim the batting back the same amount as the seam allowance.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

I have only 'birthed' biscuit quilts, after sewing piping around the edges. Turned and tied it, then sewed the opening, with a tight, small whip stitch. No binding needed. I would not put a binding on after turing this type of quilt. I would just do a 1/4" top stitch around it and call it done.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

I put the batt on the bottom next to the feed dogs with the back and top (rst) on top. I sew all around the edges leaving a section about 8 inches open to turn the quilt right sides out. Pillowcasing is not my favourite method of doing a quilt because I have trouble getting it to lay flat enough to do a good machine quilting job. It is a good method if you are doing a tied quilt.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:05 PM

Thank you, everyone. I just wasn't sure, because of the double thickness of batting at the edges. A low loft batting makes sense. Yes, and no binding needed. Just sew around edge about 1/4" to 3/8", or so. Thanks again!