Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Black batting? >

Black batting?

Black batting?

Old 02-20-2016, 11:44 AM

I've never had an issue with the batting showing through the fabric except once when it was exceptionally cheap JAF clearance fabric. Mostly, the only reason to use black batting with dark quilts is due to bearding -- which typically isn't much of a problem if you use a batt with a scrim like W&N. I'm not aware of any black 100% cotton batting -- members have posted here before asking about that & the closest is an 80/20 cotton/poly blend by Hobbs. QD makes a black poly & JAF sells a black poly from Fairfield. There are plenty of choices if you want a black wool batt. My dream is to make a beautiful black on black queen-sized quilt for my bed some day so I've been researching black wool batting. Not all of it is naturally black. Some companies dye "natural" colored wool black & a lot of them use resin bonding, to which I'm allergic. I emailed a lady a while back with Nature's Comfort in MN and she said they do get black wool in from time to time & with enough notice could make me a black wool carded batting that wasn't dyed. Honestly, I've dreamed as much about that quilt as some girls do about their wedding dress.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:19 PM

I ordered my Hobbs black batting from Linda's Electric Quilting..$20. king size.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

I've used black batting in a few quilts, it is a nice batting to work with. ( Hobbs & Dream battings) just depends on the project & what you want.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:53 PM

I have used it on a dark quilt for a quilt show. Never had a bearding problem with regular W&N, just wanted to be sure since it was for show.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
I've never used the black batting, always use the cream colored batting even on dark quilts. I've been thinking about switching to white batting for light colored quilts though.
Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I tried searing their site but can't find black. I'll check Hobb's or connecting threads.
I found a product called Soft & Black. It's a black polyester batting made by The Warm Companies. I don't think they make it anymore. I remember seeing it years ago at JAF, but probably not in the last 10 years.
http://www.countryhomequilter.com/So...ing-656700.htm

I believe the only black colored product The Warm Company currently makes is Insul-Shine, which is polyester/polyethylene. I know quilters who've used it for quilted casserole dish "pouches" so it is possible to quilt through it, but I have no idea how comfortable it would be to sleep under. It's only 6% polyethylene, though, so it's probably similar to any polyester batting. Here's the link if you're interested: https://warmcompany.com/products/warm-home/insul-shine

Old 02-20-2016, 04:06 PM

I use Pellon Legacy black blend batting for quilts with a dark backing. If the quilt is longarmed you will most likely get those pokies if you do not use a black batting, at least that is the case for me.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:50 PM

I always use black Hobbs 80/20 when I have a top that is mostly black with black backing--don't want to risk those pokey's. I use white Hobbs 80/20 if the top has lots of white--never had a problem with natural showing through as dingy with white, but don't wan to risk it either. Otherwise I use natural Hobbs 80/20 unless someone specifies a poly or wool.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:59 PM

I have used black once when I used a black background fabric. I know a couple of companies make them but I had to buy online.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:04 PM

I have seen black Hobbs at Hobby Lobby. You might try there.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:39 AM

I have used a black batting before and I liked it with a quilt that has a black background. I do recommend it, because I just did another black background, and had to fight the fuzz on the quilt