Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Black fabric

Black fabric

I am finishing an Amish type twister with black fabric and bright colors. How do you keep the black from fading when you wash it? I love the way the colors pop in the really dark black. Thanks!
    Holly

I just wash in cold water with a good detergent and dry in the shade or in the dryer. I don't have any problems.

i use good quality Kona Black- i've never had my black fade from washing---if left hanging where the sun shines on it everyday there was some fading- but never from laundering.
    if you are worried about your black- prewash to make sure it is color fast- then wash in cold water when necessary...i've honestly never had a solid fade/run from laundering.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Good information. I was planning to use good quality of Kona black as an accent on my next design. Thank You!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have Kona black and haven't had a problem with it. I wash it in cold water and dry it in the dryer. Hasn't faded. Collects lint, though.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Have used Kona Black for literally decades and have never had it fade from washing. I call it "patent leather black" because it is so densely, beautifully, nearly shine-ly black!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

I don't buy Kona or any other big name fabrics. The blcks I have bought do not fade. I prewash all fabrics in warm water and dry on normal. When a finished quilt quilt gets washed I wash in warm and dry on low in the dryer. Most people I know would not line dry anything.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I'm a dye hard pre-washer ... no fabric leaves my washing machine until the color catcher say's it's OK!

I recently purchased several yards of Kona Cotton black and washed it as usual - hot water, small amount of detergent, and a color catcher to check the bleed. To my surprise there was NO bleed. I've had other manufacturers black before and it bled bad ... but not the Kona.

I would STILL wash it though
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Is the Kona they sell in JoAnn what you use. It seemed flimsy to me but someone told me its a cheaper version of Kona.

If you're worried about the black fading over time from washing, not an initial 'run', follow the standard precautions for keeping black clothes from fading...wash in cool water, wash only with other darks, wash with a detergent specifically for dark fabrics (they have chlorine inhibitors that neutralize any chlorine found in your water), wash only when necessary, use the gentlest washer cycle needed for the amount of dirt.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast