Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Black & White Beauty top done!  Now.....? >

Black & White Beauty top done! Now.....?

Black & White Beauty top done! Now.....?

Old 04-19-2012, 11:53 AM

Default Black & Whit Beauty Top Done!

I cannot afford to have it LAd and the giftee's want me to do it. Nice compliment but....!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]328537[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]328538[/ATTACH]

you do very nice piecework. maybe you can exchange piecework for LA services with someone here on the board. try putting an ad in the 'swaps' section.

i know they want you to do it yourself, but be honest. not everything people want is best. if you feel you need more practice before you try your hand at a large gift quilt, then follow your own instincts. quilt a large one for yourself first and see how that measures up to your expectations before gifting one that size. i would be terrified to quilt a large quilt for someone else without having done one for myself first as a 'learner'. you would feel terrible if it didn't turn out the way you envisioned it.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:23 PM

Backing - for those who asked this is the backing. Lucky to get 108" wide! It is a true black with while design which will also work with the viney quilting!

Thanks for the ideas, Butterflywing, but wrongo!! I am being honest!! I have done 2 kings and 5 queens before. I do not doubt my abilities, just was searching for design ideas!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]329062[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bwbacking.gif  
Old 04-19-2012, 01:08 PM

Can't help with the quilting but the quilt is goregous. Love it.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:15 PM

I just want to add my admiration to the others. You did a fantastic job with the color choice and the piecing. I like the lighter touch on the quilting too and I think your vine idea really works with the fabric and will enhance the quilt design. Thanks for sharing and am looking forward to seeing it quilted.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Backing - for those who asked this is the backing. Lucky to get 108" wide! It is a true black with while design which will also work with the viney quilting!

Thanks for the ideas, Butterflywing, but wrongo!! I am being honest!! I have done 2 kings and 5 queens before. I do not doubt my abilities, just was searching for design ideas!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]329062[/ATTACH]
then you are good to go!! have you thought about quilting from the back and following SOME of the stem lines or using the same design as the motif on the front? it's a beautiful pattern.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:16 PM

With a domestic machine on a king-size quilt? No, and too small (busy) for the front.

Both of your suggestions would require FMQ and I do not and probably will not ever want to do it! I can do my vine design continuously, though.

Originally Posted by butterflywing View Post
then you are good to go!! have you thought about quilting from the back and following SOME of the stem lines or using the same design as the motif on the front? it's a beautiful pattern.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:29 PM

Kitsie, I am partial to black and white myself. (I just finished a black & white and posted it here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t184776.html
I love your design and your fabric choices. All in all it is a gorgeous quilt. Be sure to post after you are finished. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:57 PM

I did see that Alma and was very impressed with it! When the kids said they wanted "my" pattern in Black & white I thought it would not be very nice - but Wow, I was so wrong! B&W is very elegant. Your quilting is beautiful!

Originally Posted by QandE2010 View Post
Kitsie, I am partial to black and white myself. (I just finished a black & white and posted it here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t184776.html
I love your design and your fabric choices. All in all it is a gorgeous quilt. Be sure to post after you are finished. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:38 PM

I really am impressed with your borders. The rest of the quilt is lovely.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:11 PM

Me too, I thought they were going to be a real challenge, but they were actually very easy!! The way I tackled it, half "face" one way and the other half the reverse direction so they meet in the middle of the side. But they are very eye-catching aren't they? (Not a brag - I didn't design the pattern, but the borders caught my eye, too.)

Originally Posted by golfer View Post
I really am impressed with your borders. The rest of the quilt is lovely.