Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
blankets for animals >

blankets for animals

blankets for animals

Old 02-23-2011, 10:14 AM

Has anyone used various sizes of scrap fabric for fill for blankets for animal shelters? How did you do the stuffing & what size did you make the blankets? I am almost finished making a quilt from a child's out grown clothing and have tons of scraps left and thought instead of putting it in the land fill I would make blankets for the animal shelter. Any & all ideas are most welcome.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:17 AM

That's a neat idea. Never thought of that. To use used clotheing for making doggie quilts.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:30 AM

I've heard recently that our animal shelter is starting to refuse these types of blankets and scrap stuffed mats. They're having problems drying them in the dryer and they've not been happy with them. So, double check your shelter will take them.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:02 AM

I just found out the same thing at my shelter, they only want towels. I think I would still like to do it for my daughter's three dogs.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:07 AM

I would check with your shelter first to see if they would accept that. I love the idea of recycling fabrics and I make animal blankets for the shelter here. I just use up my ugly fabric and put old blankets in for the batting. I use the kids' old fleece throws(we seem to acquire tons of them and they never get used).
Old 02-23-2011, 11:18 AM

I've been saving unusable scraps for this too, hmmm. Several quilters have mentioned using these scraps for the birds in the spring time, they'll use them to make their nests. Or maybe you would enjoy making a scrap quilt? Maybe a crumb quilt depending how small the scraps are?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:59 PM

I use old fleece throws for batting in the shelter blankets...I have a couple that my son was going to pitch when he was moving. He used them to cover furniture while moving and was about to toss in the garbage when I got them... ;-)
Old 02-23-2011, 04:01 PM

The only thing I would nix is fabric scraps for the batting. They bunch all up when you wash them and it's a nightmare. Otherwise, I love it! And so will the animals:-)
Old 02-23-2011, 07:59 PM

I make quilts for the cats in the adoption house at the shelter where I volunteer. Since I started that project last year, I take all of the dirty quilts home and wash them for th shelter and return them on my next visit. I do this 3 times weekly. The cats love them, they are colorful, and the cats have remained calmer by having somethign soft to lay on. For the smaller cats, I use a standard fat quarter to make a quilt and i use regular quilt batting. I have also made dog quilts, which are must larger and these are sold to raise money for the shelter and some of the projects going on there. Most of the dogs at the shelter use blankets or large towels and they are washed by the shelter itself. The animals love to lay on something soft, especially when it is cold.