Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blenders and Jenny Beyer Palette >

Blenders and Jenny Beyer Palette

Blenders and Jenny Beyer Palette

Old 12-31-2011, 04:48 PM

Default Blenders and Jenny Beyer Palette

Well, I read everyone's answers on the Fabric Buying Dilemma thread and really enjoyed it. The replies kind of reinforced what I already knew, which is that I need more blenders and I really don't need to be buying more of what I'm already not using! So, I still placed an order through my beloved fabric.com, but I replaced some of the eye-popping prints that I'm drawn to with some nice, sedate blenders.....though a few eye-poppers did pop into my cart & stay there through checkout!

Then, I came across another site with some pretty Jenny Beyer blender type fabrics at a good price. Do y'all like them? Do they work well with other manufacturer's lines? Also, if a pattern calls for a certain yardage of cream colored fabrics, will only one work, or is it best to have a bunch of different creams? The pattern I want to start uses about 2 1/2 yards of different creams & I only have two different ones. Seems like creams are hard to find.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:10 PM

I bought a ton of Jinny Beyer FQ blenders for applique from this eBay seller:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/franks11/m.h....c0.m270.l1313

He's always just super to deal with and I loved the assortment of prints I got for my stash.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

It seems to me that a lot of Jinny Beyer fabrics have more grey in them than other fabrics, making them more difficult to match with other lines. I would at least want to see them in person rather than rely on an internet picture.

I think 2 creams will do nicely if you don't have more. Be sure to show us what you make!
Old 12-31-2011, 05:58 PM

Wow, Polly! What a great source! At $1 per fat quarter, seems hard to go wrong.

Dunster, thanks for the advice. I'll be sure and post a pic......if I ever get it started....and if it turns out!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:09 PM

don't pay any attention to who makes the fabric... is it a color you like? is it good quality? is the price good? do you already have 4 or 5 examples of it? JB has some beautiful fabrics but i don't use them much myself as they tend to overwhelm the design...it's always a 'Jenny Beyer' fabric quilt... i love her line, but it's like appliqued quilts to me...i think they're beautiful if cone well... but am i gonna do one... nope!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:55 PM

I don't think I've actually ever seen her fabric in person, just in magazines & online. The quilts and fabrics are beautiful, but way beyond me. I agree, it's a very distinctive look. Thanks for your insight!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
I don't think I've actually ever seen her fabric in person, just in magazines & online. The quilts and fabrics are beautiful, but way beyond me. I agree, it's a very distinctive look. Thanks for your insight!
I would not denegrate JB's work in ANY way... and she has THE BEST book on the market for studying color...one of the best books i ever bought for quilting. But don't be fooled...all that intricate piecing is well done...she pieces everything by hand so it's easier to make it match perfectly.... but a lot of that design is in the fabrics.. she cuts everything so that they look like 4 or 5 pcs went together, when in reality, she is laying a ruler on a multi-stripe printed fabric and it looks like its a bunch of little pcs when it's not.... and of course, since she's designing the actual fabric, it's always the scale she wants or needs for a specific project... look at the piece in the little pic...we all have seen stack and whack results when you have these great prints to fussy cut...can you imagine what kinds of blocks/stars/borders she can get out of a border print like this....like i said, she IS doing it and it's a great job, but the fact that she can hand pick the prints she has to work with helps her a lot in achieving her overall look.... she loves to work with border prints and large stripes of all kinds and does a lot with them....look at the little pic of the quilt.... it looks like there's a million pcs in each block... but she used 2 different striped fabrics to achieve a lot of that.... I'm not saying she didn't pc a bunch, but not what it looks like...she has just taken stack and whack to an art form and she did it first....
Attached Thumbnails 1906052086264040_1.jpg   fb609cff-097f-4d45-16e57c3474d66674.jpg  
Old 12-31-2011, 08:26 PM

Jenny Beyer fabrics are very distictive. They are typically in jewel tones. That being said , she has lots of coordinates designed to go with her line, but there are soo many other fabrics available you can find others to work with them.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
I bought a ton of Jinny Beyer FQ blenders for applique from this eBay seller:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/franks11/m.h....c0.m270.l1313

He's always just super to deal with and I loved the assortment of prints I got for my stash.
That's a great resource for getting a variety of fabric at a great price! Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-01-2012, 04:28 AM

If it is pretty and good quality then I buy it. I'm not that familiar with all of the different lines of fabric. So, I'm not much help, But, I had to put my 2 cents worth in.