Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
blipty blipity blipity! >

blipty blipity blipity!

blipty blipity blipity!

Old 08-10-2010, 03:47 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to take them back!! I got some fat quarters a few years back that were cut so crooked....I didn't have enough after cutting them; and the gal where I bought them gladly gave me some more to go with what I had and apologized for the error. She had let some of her girlfriends help cut them, and I guess they didn't think it mattered that much on the straight edges lol. Not so sure JoAnn's will be as nice; but it definitely is worth trying.
I have never found problems with charm packs from brand name manufacturers such as Moda.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:48 PM

The only charm packs I have ever bought have been Moda charm packs from the Missouri Star Quilt Co. daily deal and I have never had any problems with them.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:50 PM

I've only used Moda so far and no problem.
Wow, bummer.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

How frustrating. I hope tomorrow goes better. You are so brave to sew with all those kids. I wouldn't get a thing done.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:28 PM

I think you and your buddy are wonderful to make something nice for a new mommy! Prayers and good wishes that it goes better tomorrow! You are a real blessing in the lives of these ladies.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

With that many young kids I wouldn't be able to do anything but, go nuts. At 65 it doesn't take alot to mess up the brain. Good for you both being young and having a brain that still works, or maybe not. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Power Poster

Ironing no brand pre cuts will cause distortion because the pre cuts are not always cut on grain but how the fabric will fit on the die. I've never had a problem with Moda precuts or Keepsake Quilting precuts.

I'm sure once the quilt is finished it will look great and be very appreciated.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Banned

I will say I am working with 3 moda cherished nature charm packs and some are off as much as 1/4" in my favor but it sure puts a damper on sewing when you have to stop and square up every few blocks. Some are 1/8" short. Hope tomorrow /today works better!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:01 AM

Some charm packs have fabrics that are a cut a bit short or off-square but not bad enough to keep me from buying them. I make totes with them. I bought Bali Pops - they were horrible - very crooked and uneven. I will cut my own 2-1/2" strips of batiks from now on.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Dix

Originally Posted by sahm4605
I am fighting mad. My quilting buddy and I got together today to work on a baby quilt for a mommy to be at church and we had picked up a few charm packs from JoAnns. We loved the colors and the patterns in them. Got them open a few days ago and they had two in the pack that looked like they were just thrown in and didn't seem to really go with the other squares, which isn't a big deal because we made it work. well when we went to sew them all together that was when the problems really started to hit the fan. Not only where the squares not the exact size of 5" but they were not all quite square. most were only off by less than 1/8". really frustrating. but when we ironed them they were really messed up because they were cut not in a true square but had some corners that were not 90*. We were really mad about all this then as I am ironing out the fabric trying to get them all in some resemblence of a rectangle, I found that my buddies machine has lost its tension. So now the bottom thread is able to be pulled out. So after about an hour of trying to fix the tension problem I gave up and we are going to get together tomorrow to try and finish up. We have some of them in 4 squares and some on rectangles and some flapping in the wind on their own. This was all done while 4 children ran nuts playing. Their ages are 11 months. 21 months 2 1/2 and 4. Are we crazy or what? hehe

Does anyone else ever have this problem with the charm packs? Not being cut right? or even the right size. As well as missing squares? (we were missing one square out of the 4 packs we got.) I don't think that I will be doing the charm packs again. I will just buy fabric that I like together. Which we have another baby blanket that we are going to be making for a mommy who is 17. (second baby, only good thing is she is married to the daddy of both babies) Don't get me started on this baby blanket.
I never buy anything in a pack at JoAnns. You really have to watch what they cut.