Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: block help please!

I am making a quilt for my bed the finished size will be 94" by 115.5" which includes two 7" borders or maybe one 14" border. There is a wall hanging panel in the middle and then blocks all around it from the Santa swap and Winter swap here on the board.

I have 6 blocks that are 12.5"
    4 blocks that are bigger
    16 blocks that are smaller

What should I do? Do I add borders to make them all bigger? Do I cut them all down to 12"? I think it would look awful if the blocks don't all line up and are diffrent sizes.

The blocks are all so beautiful, I am so lost with it now. I have looked at it for days now and still have no clue as to what to do.

Thanks all for your input :)

There are many quilts with different size blocks--maybe in a Georgia Bonesteel book?
    You can make the quilt in "multi-block" sections to utilize the different sizes. For example, six the same size in one, four in another, etc. , then lay out and use sashing, borders to make it work....

Blog Entries
    I would add borders to make them all the same size as the biggest blocks.

How much of a difference? If they are 1/4 inch more/less you may be able to 'stretch' them to go together.

First I would starch well and press--you will be surprised how much a good pressing will give you.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    How much of a difference? If they are 1/4 inch more/less you may be able to 'stretch' them to go together.

First I would starch well and press--you will be surprised how much a good pressing will give you.

Good luck!
    I tryed this already, It did not stretch enough. :( Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by okiepastor
    There are many quilts with different size blocks--maybe in a Georgia Bonesteel book?
    You can make the quilt in "multi-block" sections to utilize the different sizes. For example, six the same size in one, four in another, etc. , then lay out and use sashing, borders to make it work....
    Oh, I would have never of though about this. This is a fantastic idea. Wonderful, thank you so very much! :)

Blog Entries
    tighten up the seams on some, loosen up the others :D:D:D

I'd use the wall hanging for the center of the quilt, then take each block and add a top and bottom border (say you choose red), these will vary in size depending on how big the block starts out to be, then cut squares or rectangles of the red to add between the blocks. The blocks will kind of "float" in the background. (I'm not sure I'm explaining this right.). but you can use that as a "border" around your center and then add any other borders you'd like.

You are welcome----

Since you have a center panel around which you wish to place the other blocks, I would add borders to ALL (including the largest), then trim to be the same size. The different width borders may be less obvious if they are not all the same fabric.