Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Block of the Month for a fee? >

Block of the Month for a fee?

Block of the Month for a fee?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:14 AM

Really?

How many of you participate financially in these offerings? I see them around and am rather blown away by what seems to me to be a rather high price-- a sign up fee and then a monthly fee?

For those of you who do participate, what value do you find in these products?

Help me understand.
Thanks.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I also think the price can be outrageous, but many times the designs, particularly the appliques, are really wonderful. I haven't done any so far but several friends do them all the time. When the LQS sponsors one it usually comes with a free sew-in during the week.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:30 AM

I agree, the designs for these are usually stunning and when my LQS does them, there is a sew-in with instructions and assistance if needed, and a discount on fabrics purchased for the block each month. It's as much a social thing as a quilting thing. :D
Old 05-19-2011, 10:58 AM

My LQS has several block of the month clubs going, but the only one I'm taking part in is one where you pay $5 to join and and get the first month's fabric kit. Then each month you take your completed block in and you receive that month's fabric kit and keep doing this until you have all 12 blocks. You do have to buy the book with the block patterns also. Of course, if you want to finish it out to bigger than a wall hanging, you do have to purchase all the fabric for fill-in blocks, sashing, borders and binding. It's fun though.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:00 PM

My LQS has been having BOM from Jennifer Chiaverini's "Sylvia's Bridal Sampler" pattern book. I can't remember the initial sign-up fee, but it included the book.

We receive the fabric for 4 blocks for $6 a month. Each clerk (all quilters) takes a turn in choosing the blocks and fabrics for the month. I am astounded by the amount of time they have all spent in cutting the fabric & rolling it into cute little bundles bound by a ribbon. A choice of pastel or fall colors was offered. A free meeting was held twice a month (both an evening and a Sat. morning session) led by the teacher of the month. Any special technique was explained and we could ask any questions if we were having trouble with a block.

The shop owner decided to end the program at 21 months (84 blocks) because they were having trouble finding blocks that would be suitable for all skill levels. The last I heard more than 150 quilters were doing this.

Now we have 6 months to finish the quilt. At that time, a completely pieced top will get a gift certificate from the shop. A completely quilted, bound and finished quilt will earn a higher gift certificate. In addition, fabric for sashing, backing and binding is available for 20% off through July.

I was keeping up with all the blocks until last fall when I learned I had 4 baby quilts that needed to be done. They are all done and delivered now so I am back to working on Sylvia. I will be ecstatic if I can get all the blocks done and the top pieced by Nov. :D

Thank you, Mary and all the rest of you at Top Shelf Quilts in Frankfort IL. :thumbup: :thumbup: I have learned so much!
Old 05-19-2011, 12:05 PM

The online BOMs are ridiculously high :thumbdown: $25. sign-up fee and then $24.95 a month. That's outrageous.

See my previous post on the Sylvia BOM my LQS is offering. They have all been great. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 05-19-2011, 12:51 PM

I would love to offer block of the month programs, but the cost is rediculous. Would you pay $150.00 for a book of patterns, then have to buy the fabric. I know the programs work for some shops, but I guess I am just too frugal. I have one pattern in my shop that is done as a BOM and the pattern alone is suggested to be sold at $80. Yes, the pattern is nice, but offers no suggestions or learning tricks to go along with it. I know I won't recover what I spent on that one. Okay, off my soapbox now. LOl
Old 05-19-2011, 03:08 PM

Well, it sounds like a lot of the in-shop BOM clubs are FAR less expensive (as in 1/4th the price of many online BOM clubs).

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

-- Jillaine
Old 05-19-2011, 03:51 PM

I've done several online BOMS. Yes, they're expensive but it's worth it to me to have the perfect fabrics already picked out for me. I love to pick my own fabrics for quilts too but tend to go WAY overboard and buy WAY too much that way. With the online BOMs, I get just what I need without any waste. And while I love shop hopping, sometimes it's nice just to have a wonderful package of goodies arrive at my home that I didn't have to use a tank of gas and the whole day to gather. To each their own I guess. :)
Old 05-20-2011, 12:49 AM

Good point Julie.