Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A block name without an illustration for it - - - >

A block name without an illustration for it - - -

A block name without an illustration for it - - -

Old 06-28-2015, 06:32 AM

This started when the cheap "handmade" quilts from China were being sold in catalogs and online. They would take a perfectly good Log Cabin and name it "forest home" or some such nonsense. And so on with a lot of traditional patterns.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​Wow katier825, I will have to give it a try! Computers continue to amaze me.
I love this place -Some one always has an answer for every thing.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:59 AM

How wonderful these tips are. Now if I can just figure out how to place my hands on the keyboard, I won't spend hours correcting my input.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:14 AM

My MIL belonged to a quilt circle at her church. There were ladies that came from all parts of the country as well as one from Germany-one from Japan. One quilt they made was an eye opener. They were asked to make the same block with a finish size . There were 26 ladies and when they brought their finished blocks in there were 23 different styles of this one pattern name. The 3 that were the same were made by 2 ladies from Tennessee and 1 lady from Kentucky. They named that quilt 'Our Differences Make Us One'' This quilt auctioned off for $12,500. the money went to a women and children's shelter. These quilting ladies made and donated all their quilts to many organizations. They would auction off between 8-12 quilts a year to raise money for so many wonderful causes.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
Someone did! On Google, pick the "Images" link, click the little camera to the right of the search box and it upload a picture. It will search for similar pictures.

https://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en&t...ed=0CBUQqi4oAQ
Must not work on ipads. I don't get a camera icon.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:09 PM

I find the renaming of standard old patterns still going strong today. Make it in a particular color combo and give it a new name. I think sometimes enthusiasm gets carried away with naming patterns when what they should be doing is naming their quilt, not the pattern. If I make a D9P in pink, yellow and orange and call it Tequila Sunrise, then cool I have made a quilt named Tequila Sunrise in the pattern D9P, I have NOT made a new pattern called Tequila Sunrise.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Must not work on ipads. I don't get a camera icon.
All I get is the Google home page. (The place where you type in where you want to go.)
Old 06-29-2015, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
I find the renaming of standard old patterns still going strong today. Make it in a particular color combo and give it a new name. I think sometimes enthusiasm gets carried away with naming patterns when what they should be doing is naming their quilt, not the pattern. If I make a D9P in pink, yellow and orange and call it Tequila Sunrise, then cool I have made a quilt named Tequila Sunrise in the pattern D9P, I have NOT made a new pattern called Tequila Sunrise.
I totally agree. I have always named my quilts (some not repeatable in nice company) and I also acknowledge the pattern name or state that it is an original design.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:36 AM

I agree, it goes to say that nothing is really new. I have a pet peeve about square quilts. It seems to be a cop out for pattern makers not to make bed size rectangles that can be adapted.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:49 AM

Thanks for sharing the computer info. I am always amazed at the various talents on this board, and computer expertise is not one of mine LOL